Catherine Michel papers
Catherine Michel papers
This collection contains photographs of Michael LeGrand and Catherine Michel performing, rehearsing, and with various individuals; programs and notes; a discography; a copy of "Madame de Genlis" by Gabriel de Broglie; a copy of "Musique d'aiyourd'hui notation mouvelle"; a copy of "Répertoire pédagogique pour la harpe"; and a biography of Catherine Michel, 1978-2002.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Michel, Catherine, 1948
- Call Number: MSS 7911
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Music Special Collections; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open to public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English and French.
- This collection retained its original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Catherine Michel papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7911; Catherine Michel papers; International Harp Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7911, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Catherine Michel in April 2004.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Catherine Michel; April 2004.
- Subject Terms
- LeGrand, Michel, 1932-; Michel, Catherine, 1948-; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Harpists--France; Music
- Genre / Form
- Harp music; Photographs; Programs
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth West; July 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Prominent Harpists, (Section IV.a.i. International Harp Collection Development Policy January 2011).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Michel (Catherine) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elizabeth West
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-01-26T04:22-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Catherine Michel (born 1948) is a prominent French harpist.
Catherine Michel (Marie Céleste Elvire) was born in Amiens, France, on June 25, 1948. A student of Pierre Jamet, she entered his Paris Conservatoire harp class at the age of 13, obtaining a premier prix in 1964. She won a second prix at the Israel contest (1970) and a gold medal at the Marcel Tournier competition (1971), and was solo harpist of the Orchestre National de France from 1970 to 1977. In 1978 she was appointed solo harpist at the Paris Opéra. Strongly committed to pedagogy, she has taught at academic institutions in Hamburg (1977–80), Detmold (1996–2000) and Zürich (from 1999), as well as at the Ecole Normale de Musique in Paris (from 1981). Michel is a visiting professor at the Royal College of Music (RCM) and has published an important bibliography of harp music. Her significant recording career has been boosted by the popular success of her prizewinning 1995 collaboration with Michel Legrand on the CD Musique et Cinéma.
comments powered by Disqus