Collection contains bound record catalogs from the dates 1980, 1985, 1987-89, and 1990. The records also include photocopies of record labels, cue sheets for the radio program "Speaking of Music," Utah Symphony Syndication sheets and other material pertaining to the broadcasts of KBYU-FM spanning the dates 1980-1992.
- Extent: 8 cartons (8 linear ft.)
- Creator: KBYU-FM (Radio station : Provo, Utah)
- Call Number: MSS 7932
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Music Special Collections; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- The original order of the collection has been retained.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the KBYU-FM records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7932; KBYU-FM records; Music Special Collections; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7932, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by KBYU-FM (Radio station: Provo, Utah) in 2003.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; KBYU-FM (Radio station: Provo, Utah); 2003.
- Subject Terms
- KBYU-FM (Radio station : Provo, Utah); Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Music; Music--Discography--Catalogs.; Radio--Utah--Provo--History
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Melissa James; August 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Archives of local organizations with working relations with Brigham Young University, (Section IV.a.i.5 Music Special Collections Development Policy September 2010).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- KBYU-FM records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Melissa James
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-09-09T18:01-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
KBYU-FM (1946-) is a nonprofit, listener-supported radio station in Provo, Utah, dedicated to providing inspiring and enlightening programming that reflects the timeless standards of Brigham Young University.
KBYU-FM (Radio station: Provo, Utah), also known as Classical 89, began broadcasting in 1946 as KBYU-AM 660. It was run by programming students just on the campus of Brigham Young University.
Professor T. Earl Pardoe first proposed the idea of a campus radio station to a student named Owen S. Rich who previously worked as a studio engineer. Rich, having just returned from serving as a radio and radar technician for the Coast Guard in World War II, decided to work with the city of Provo in using the power-line network as the radio station's antennae, and in 1948 KBYU became available citywide.
In 1958, just as FM transmissions were emerging as the industry standard, various BYU construction projects meant that KBYU studios would lose access to Provo power lines and a new means of broadcasting needed to be found. Owen Rich, now a member of the BYU faculty, received approval in 1960. However, the KBYU call letters were assigned already to a liberty ship, so in May of 1960 BYU began FM broadcasts as KBRG, but was eventually assigned as KBYU-FM in November of that year.
KBYU-FM now serves over 110,000 listeners in the Greater Salt Lake Valley and in Utah, Davis, Weber, and Box Elder counties, as well as some additional outlying areas. Managers for KBYU-FM have included: Owen Rich (1960), Lynn A. McKinlay (1960-1963), Gene Henderson (1963-1966), Leland H. Stott, Jr. (1970-1973), Jay Sheldon Monson (1973-1979), and Walter B. Rudolph (1979-).
comments powered by Disqus