LaMar C. Berrett papers
LaMar C. Berrett papers
Contains the research material, notes, photographs, and other material of Berrett, including research on Mormon Trail history, history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and scrapbooks of tours conducted by LaMar C. Berrett. Dates range from 1931-2007.
- Extent: 81 cartons (81 linear ft.). -- 4 oversize folders (2.25 linear ft.)
- Creator: Berrett, LaMar C.
- Call Number: MSS 7968
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Contains five series: 1. Research material, 1931-2007. 2. Papers on Brigham Young University tours,1961-1999. 3. Papers on publications, 1961-1999. 4. Collection on the Mormon Trail, 1971-2007. 5. Notes and other material, 1948-2002.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the LaMar C. Berrett papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 7968; LaMar C. Berrett papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 7968, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Darlene Berrett in 2009.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Darlene Berrett; 2009.
- Subject Terms
- Immigration and American Expansion; Overland Journeys to the Western United States; Mormon authors--Research; Mormon Church--History; Jerusalem; Berrett, LaMar C.; Berrett, LaMar C. --Archives; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--History
- Genre / Form
- Notes; Research (Document genres); Photographs; Scrapbooks
- Processing Information
- Processed; Peter Hoyt and Elizabeth Ballif, student manuscript processors, addendum added, Trevor Tanner, student manuscript processor, 2015, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007). LaMar C. Berrett was a professor at Brigham Young University and a history scholar for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Berrett (Lamar C.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- John M. Murphy, curator, Peter Hoyt and Elizabeth Ballif, student manuscript processors
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-03-16 10:38:49 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
LaMar C. Berrett (1926-2007) was a professor of religion at Brigham Young University and a historian for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
LaMar C. Berrett was born March 28, 1926, in Riverton, Utah, to John Harold and Stella Wright Berrett. At the age of eighteen, Berrett fought in the Battle of the Bulge during World War II. He later served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Southern States mission. On August 3, 1950, Berrett married Darlene Hamilton in the Salt Lake Temple. They are the parents of nine children. Berrett graduated with a BS from the University of Utah and received his Masters and Doctorate degrees from Brigham Young University. He worked as a professor at BYU for twenty-nine years. Berrett spent many years researching Church history. He also conducted tours to Jerusalem, Church history sites in America, Book of Mormon places, and Europe. He edited "Sacred Places" a six-volume series of Church history. Berrett passed away August 25, 2007.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 7968
LaMar C. Berrett research material
LaMar C. Berrett papers on Brigham Young University tours
LaMar C. Berrett papers on publications
LaMar C. Berrett collection on the Mormon Trail
LaMar C. Berrett notes and other material
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts