Nels R. Homer missionary journal
Nels R. Homer missionary journal
Contains daily record of Nels R. Homer's years in the Eastern States Mission. He describes his journey out East, staying in hotels and when he arrived at stops along the way. Documents going through Chicago and Niagara Falls. Records also describes his daily activities, like visiting with people, preaching sermons in other churches, and attending meetings and conferences. Documents tracting experiences and thoughts on weather, meetings, and studies. Homer tracks where he is every day, so the journal shows where his mission is, including Vermont and New York. There are sheets tracking the number of Books of Mormon sold, hours tracted, and baptisms performed, as well as some financial contributions. Finally, the journal includes pasted-in newspaper articles pertaining to Mormon missionaries in the area, locations of Sunday services, and various other topics. Dated 1913-1914.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Homer, Nels R. (Nels Russell), 1892-1949
- Call Number: MSS 8015
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Nels R. Homer missionary journal must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8015; Nels R. Homer missionary journal; 19th Century Western and Mormon Americana; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8015, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Jay and Susan Scollick in 2012.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Jay and Susan Scollick; 2012.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Northeastern States; Homer, Nels R. (Nels Russell), 1892-1949--Diaries; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon Church--Missions--Northeastern States; Mormon missionaries--Northeastern States--Diaries
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Kelsey Samuelsen and John M. Murphy; March 30, 2012.
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts. Nels R. Homer was a missionary from Ogden for the LDS church.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Homer (Nels R.) missionary journal
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Kelsey Samuelsen
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-10-14T08:20-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid is written in English.
- Biographical Info:
Nels R. Homer (1892-1949) was a father and dairy instructor in Utah.
Nels Russell Homer was born March 17, 1892 to Joshua Thornton Homer and Olena Jensen Homer. He was born in Clarkston, Cache County, Utah. He was one of the six living children of his parents. His father was a judge. Homer grew up in Utah, then served his mission in the Eastern States Mission from 1913-1914. He married Tessie Wiseman on September 18, 1918 in Salt Lake City. Tessie died in 1945. They had a daughter, Elna Homer, who was born about 1922. She married Wallace Anderson, Jr. in 1942. Homer worked as a dairy instructor during his lifetime. He died on August 21, 1949 in Ogden, Utah. He was buried in Tremonton, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus