Phillip R. Kunz papers
Phillip R. Kunz papers
Dates: approximately 1884-2010
Contains the personal papers of Kunz, including several files on his family history, such as biographies and journals. Also includes Kunz's personal journals and other papers and notes he wrote, as well as his professional papers and correspondence. His professional papers include several papers and articles authored or co-authored by Kunz. Papers pertain to family history, daily activities, missionary work, as well as sociological topics like gender, family, morality, and religion. Dated approximately 1884 to 2010.
- Extent: 4 cartons (4 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Kunz, Phillip R., 1936
- Call Number: MSS 8025
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in three series: 1. Phillip R. Kunz papers on family history, approximately 1884-1981. 2. Phillip R. Kunz personal papers, approximately 1967-2010. 3. Phillip R. Kunz professional papers, approximately 1958-1997.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Phillip R. Kunz papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8025; Phillip R. Kunz personal papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8025, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Phillip Kunz in 2012.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Phillip Kunz; 2012.
- Subject Terms
- Social Life and Customs; Home and Family; Education; Colleges and Universities; Sociology--Study and teaching (Higher)--United States; Kunz, Phillip R., 1936-; Koontz family; Kunz, Phillip R., 1936---Archives
- Genre / Form
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Family histories; Diaries
- Processing Information
- Processed; Kelsey Samuelsen, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2012. Addition processed; Kelsey Samuelsen, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2012. Addition processed; Erin Owens; May 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS scholarship and historiography (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.V, August 2007.) Kunz was an eminent sociologist at the University of Wyoming and at Brigham Young University and an active member of the Mormon Church.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Kunz (Phillip R.) personal papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Kelsey Samuelsen, student processor, and John Murphy, curator.
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-10-21 09:22:13 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Phillip R. Kunz (1936-) is an eminent sociologist and an active member of the Mormon Church.
Phillip R. Kunz was born on July 19, 1936. He grew up in Utah. He enlisted in the army for a few years, then served a mission in Alabama and George around 1957-1958. He met Joyce Sheffield in 1959 and they were married int he Salt Lake Temple on March 18, 1960. Their first child, Jay Phillip Kunz, was born on January 4, 1961. Kunz attended school at Brigham Young University, beginning graduate work in 1962. He went on to receive a Ph.D., then worked as a professor of sociology at the University of Wyoming and later at Brigham Young University. In 1990, he and his wife served a mission to Louisiana Baton Rouge. Kunz was called to serve as a counselor in the BYU 5th Stake Presidency in 2000. In 2005, they served another mission to Moscow, Russia, where they served as Director and Assistant Director in Minsk, Belarus. They currently live in Provo, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 8025
Phillip R. Kunz papers on family history
Dates: approximately 1884-1981
Phillip R. Kunz personal papers
Dates: approximately 1967-2010
Phillip R. Kunz professional papers
Dates: approximately 1958-1997
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts