Walter McPhie papers
Walter McPhie papers
Dates: circa 1959-2009
Contains the professional and personal papers of Walter McPhie. Materials include published journals with articles authored by McPhie, dissertations, theses, and other papers written by McPhie during his education, outlines for teaching courses on teacher improvement and gospel instruction, and other files. All materials pertain to the topic of secondary teacher education, teaching religious topics, or McPhie's life and family. Dated circa 1959-2009.
- Extent: 2 cartons (2 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize box (0.75 linear ft.)
- Creator: McPhie, Walter E., 1926-2009
- Call Number: MSS 8038
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Files left in their original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Walter McPhie papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8038; Walter McPhie papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8038, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Marilyn J. McPhie in 2012.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Marilyn J. McPhie; 2012.
- Subject Terms
- McPhie, Walter E., 1926-2009; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Colleges and Universities; Education, Secondary; Elementary and Secondary Education; Family life; Mormon Church Education; Religious education--Teaching methods; Social Life and Customs
- Genre / Form
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Scrapbooks
- Processing Information
- Processed; Kelsey Samuelsen, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2012.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS scholarship and historiography (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.V, August 2007.) Walter McPhie was an eminent LDS teacher, both on secondary education and on religious topics.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- McPhie (Walter) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Kelsey Samuelsen, student processor, and John Murphy, curator.
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-05-11T13:40-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Walter McPhie (1926-2009) was a Mormon teacher and scholar.
Walter McPhie was born on March 20, 1926, in Ogden, Utah, to Walter and Heva McPhie. He had a twin brother. He graduated from Ogden High School in 1944 and served in the Army Air Corps from 1944-1946. He graduated from Weber Jr. College, then went on to the University of Utah and Stanford University for his graduate degrees. McPhie served a mission in France, Switzerland, and Belgium from 1947-1949. He married Marilyn Jones in the Logan Temple in 1951. They had four children. McPhie taught in public schools in Utah and California from 1953-1957, then held administrative and professional positions at Brigham Young University from 1959-1963. He also worked at Haile Selassie I University in Ethiopia from 1963-1965, 1967-1968, and 1970, and at the University of Utah from 1965-1996. He served in chuch as a teacher, counselor in the Bishopric, Stake High Council, Stake Sunday School President, Stake Teacher Improvement coordinator, and other callings. He and his wife also sang as members of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for many years. He travelled to numerous places researching education, including China, Egypt, and Israel. He developed international seminars for teachers in these places. He died on December 19, 2009, and was buried in Larkin Sunset Gardens, Sandy, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus