Katherine Kenning collection of Joanna Wojciechowicz papers
Katherine Kenning collection of Joanna Wojciechowicz papers
Contains materials compiled by Joanna Wojciechowicz on the subject of the Solidarity movement in Poland. Wojciechowicz was an involved participant in the Solidarity movement and these documents reflect her familiarity with leaders of the organization, communist punishment for being involved in this movement, and the eventual impact that Solidarity was able to have. The collection includes documents such as lazer printouts of photographs, newspaper articles, correspondence, and personal papers that connect to Wojciechowicz's personal life, but primarily are focused on the actions and impact of Polish Solidarity. Katherine Kenning is a friend of Joanna Wojciechowicz and as a result of their relationship and her interest in the Solidarity movement was given the collection of materials. Dates range from 1881-2014.
- Extent: 2 cartons (2 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.). -- 3 oversize folders (0.3 linear ft.). -- 1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
- Creator: Kenning, Katherine, 1948. -- Wojciechowicz, Joanna, 1944
- Call Number: MSS 8081
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Privacy restricted until 2017; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English and Polish with a few documents in Russian and German.
- Collection is arranged into seven series: 1. Joanna Wojciechowicz collection of legal documents, 1881-2012. 2. Joanna Wojciechowicz collection of Polish history and culture, 1970-2007. 3. Joanna Wojciechowicz personal papers, 1970-2013. 4. Joanna Wojciechowicz correspondance, 1982-2009. 5. Joanna Wojciechowicz collection of newspapers and clippings, 1972-2010. 6. Joanna Wojciechowicz collection of production papers, 1988-2000. 7. and Joanna Wojciechowicz collection of photographs and slides, 1947-1996.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Katherine Kenning collection of Joanna Wojciechowicz papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8081; Katherine Kenning collection of Joanna Wojciechowicz papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8081; LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Joanna Wojciechowicz gave these materials to Katherine Kenning who donated them in 2012. Joanna Wojciechowicz gave these materials to Katherine Kenning who donated them in 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Katherine Kenning; 2012. Donated; Katherine Kenning; 2014.
- Subject Terms
- Business, Industry, Labor, and Commerce; Labor History; Politics, Government, and Law; Civic Activism; Social Life and Customs; Social Classes; Anti-communist movements--Poland--Gdan?sk--History; NSZZ "Solidarnos?c?" (Labor organization); Kenning, Katherine, 1948-; Wojciechowicz, Joanna, 1944-
- Genre / Form
- Legal documents; Letters; Newspapers; Personal papers; Photographs; Slides (Photography); Audio-visual materials; Legal instruments
- Processing Information
- Processed; Tracy Allen, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2012. Processed; Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Kenning (Katherine) collection of Joanna Wojciechowicz papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Processed; Tracy Allen, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2012.
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-09-14 16:10:18 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Katherine Kenning (1948- ) is an activist in the areas of Polish history and world refugees.
Katherine Kenning was born on November 14th, 1948, in Salt Lake City, Utah, and was raised in southern California. She attended the American High School of Zurich, Switzerland, Brigham Young University, and eventually earned a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and an Internationally ? Certified Masters of Business Administration degree from Western Governors University (WGU). She and her husband have five children.
She helped tear down the Berlin Wall in 1991; facilitated several American-Polish joint ventures; helped organize funding that would revamp the healthcare in Poland; and is working with Joanna Wojciechowicz and members of The Dignity Association of Solidarity to acquire significant personal and historical archives pertaining to Poland. She also filmed and participated in a convoy of 100 tons of humanitarian aid into Bosnia in 1997.
Currently, she evaluates financial, strategic, and marketing essays for the WGU MBA program.
Kenning currently lives in Utah.
Joanna Wojciechowicz (1944- ) was an Architect in Gdansk, Poland and was involved in the Solidarity movement.
Joanna Wojciechowicz was born in 1944. She was an Architecht in Gdansk, Poland for 10 years. She was heavily involved in the opposition movement against the communist government. Her son was a member of the Young Poland movement and both of them became contributors to the Solidarity movement as it developed. She was present in the shipyard during the strike in 1980 and was imprisoned for her involvement. After moving to Washington state, where she currently lives, she was heavily involved in several documentaries which commemorate the efforts of the Solidarity movement including Women in Solidarity.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 8081
Joanna Wojciechowicz collection of legal documents
Joanna Wojciechowicz collection of Polish history and culture
Joanna Wojciechowicz personal papers
Joanna Wojciechowicz correspondence
Joanna Wojciechowicz collection of newspapers and clippings
Joanna Wojciechowicz collection of production papers
Joanna Wojciechowicz collection of photographs and slides
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts