Merle V. Adams papers
Merle V. Adams papers
Collection contains photocopies of family scrapbook items relating to Merle V. Adams' career and family life. Also includes family biographies, Merle's filmography, copies of newspaper articles that mention Adams, and information about a hidden treasure reported to be near Kanab that Adams helped look for. Dated 1934-2014.
- Extent: 5 folders (0.4 linear ft.)
- Creator: Adams, Merle V., 1899-1988
- Call Number: MSS 8108
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Merle V. Adams papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8108; Merle V. Adams papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8108, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Jean Adams Crosby in 2012. Donated by Dale W. Adams in 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Jean Adams Crosby; September 2012. Donated; Dale Adams; April 2014.
- Subject Terms
- Treasure troves--Folklore; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Family histories; Kanab (Utah)--History; Motion picture industry; Ranching--Utah; Social Life and Customs; Media and Communication; Agriculture and Natural Resources; Adams, Merle V., 1899-1988; Adams family
- Genre / Form
- Biography; Manuscripts; Scrapbooks; Photocopies; Oral histories; Motion pictures
- Processing Information
- Processed; John N. Gillespie; 2013. Processed; Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Adams (Merle V.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Norm Gillespie
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-06-16 14:39:04 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Merle V. Adams (1899-1988) was a Kanab, Utah rancher and movie liason, stunt man, wrangler, and factotum.
Merle V. "Cowhide" Adams was born in 1899. He was a rancher in Kanab, Utah. Because of his expertise in ranching and handling livestock, Adams also served as a liason, stunt man, wrangler and general factotum for the many motion picture studios which filmed productions in Utah. Adams was responsible for coordinating livestock, transportation, locations, and people for use by the motion picture industry.
He married Emma Hortt on May 31, 1920, in Kanab, Utah. They had 4 children: John Hortt Adams, Vivian Allen Adams, Emma Jean Adams Crosby, and Merlyn "Pinkie" Adams Esplin.
He died in 1988 in Kanab, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus