Barbara Lewis papers
Barbara Lewis papers
Collection contains articles in magazines, drafts of her books “The Kids Guide to Service Projects” and “The Kids Guide to Social Action,” letters from the public, and documents on the many student projects she oversaw. Dated 1973-2000.
- Extent: 3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Lewis, Barbara A., 1943
- Call Number: MSS 8113
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Literary Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Collection is arranged in six series: 1. Barbara Lewis papers on books, 1990-2000. 2. Barbara Lewis magazine articles, 1973-1998. 3. Barbara Lewis drafts of The Kids Guide to Service Projects, 1994. 4. Barbara Lewis drafts of The Kids Guide to Social Action, 1989-1999. 5. Barbara Lewis correspondence, 1986-1999. 6. Barbara Lewis newspaper clippings and magazine articles on environmental projects, 1987-1994.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Barbara A. Lewis papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators. Barbara A. Lewis retains copyright for the Barbara Lewis papers.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8113; Barbara Lewis papers; Literary Manuscripts Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citation: MSS 8113, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Materials were donated by creator, Barbara A. Lewis, in 2012.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Barbara A. Lewis; 2012.
- Subject Terms
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Authors, American--Utah--Correspondence; Literature; Literature--Mormon authors
- Genre / Form
- Drafts (Documents); Letters; Manuscripts
- Processing Information
- Processed; Lora Patterson; 2012.
- Appraisal Information
- Literary Manuscripts Archives. Collections covers the work of an LDS author.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Lewis (Barbara) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Lora Patterson
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-06-01T04:36-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Barbara A. Lewis (1943- ) is a national award-winning author and educator.
Lewis was born in 1943. After raising her family, she was a teacher at Jackson Elementary School in Salt Lake City, Utah, where she taught children how to solve real world problems. Her classes served the community by instigating environmental improvement projects, including pushing legislation through the state and receiving two President's Environmental Youth Awards .
As a writer and teacher, Lewis has been recognized by Newsweek, the Wall Street Journal, Family Circle, CBS This Morning, CBS World News, CNN, and other national papers and programs. She has written many short stories and articles that have been published in these and other mediums, but is best known for her books that inspire children and teens to serve. She has received several awards for her books, such as the Parenting's Reading Magic Award.
Lewis lives in Park City with her husband, Lawrence. They have four children and ten grandchildren.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 8113
Barbara Lewis papers on books
Barbara Lewis magazine articles
Barbara Lewis drafts of The Kids Guide to Service Projects
Barbara Lewis drafts of The Kids Guide to Social Action
Barbara Lewis correspondence
Barbara Lewis newspaper clippings and magazine articles on environmental projects
Help with this Collection
Curator - Literary Manuscripts