Lowell M. Durham papers
Lowell M. Durham papers
Contains sheet music, drafts, and clippings by Durham. Includes sheet music for his pieces, as well as compositions by composer Crawford Gates. Collection also contains several materials related to Durham's book on Maurice Abravanel, his research as well on Mormon musicians, and many newspaper and magazine clippings with news on the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Utah Symphony, and music programs at the University of Utah. Some personal papers are also included, such as notes, personal report cards, and documents on his children. Materials date from between 1920 and 1994.
- Extent: 1 oversize box (1.66 linear ft.). -- 7 cartons (7 linear ft.). -- 2 folders (0.02 linear ft.)
- Creator: Durham, Lowell M.
- Call Number: MSS 8150
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in seven series: 1. Lowell M. Durham sheet music, 1945-1990. 2. Lowell M. Durham papers on Utah musicians, 1940-1991. 3. Lowell M. Durham papers on Mormon music, 1920-1993. 4. Lowell M. Durham clippings, 1945-1991. 5. Lowell M. Durham articles and drafts, 1925-1992. 6. Lowell M. Durham academic and personal papers, 1925-1992. 7. Lowell M. Durham ephemera, 1934-1997.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Lowell M. Durham papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8150; Lowell M. Durham papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8150; LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Thomas Durham in 2012 and 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Thomas Durham; 2012, 2014.
- Other Finding Aids
- A more detailed inventory is available in the case file.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Fine Arts; Musicians--Utah; Mormons--Songs and music; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Durham, Lowell M.--Archives; Utah Symphony Orchestra; Abravanel, Maurice; Mormon Tabernacle Choir
- Genre / Form
- Sheet music; Drafts (Documents); Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; Kelsey Samuelsen, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2013.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS scholarship and historiography (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.V, August 2007.) Durham was an LDS composer and author, who wrote on many subjects relating to Mormon music and participated in work with the Utah Symphony and Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Durham (Lowell M.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Kelsey M. Samuelsen, student manuscripts processor, and John M. Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-02 14:27:25 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Lowell M. Durham (1917-1992) was an Mormon composer and author in Utah, and professor at the University of Utah.
Lowell Marsden Durham was born on March 4, 1917 to George H. Durham and Nellie Marsden in Utah. In 1941, he received his Bachelor's degree from the University of Utah. He also married Betty Dee Divers that year, on April 26, 1941. He then received a Master's degree from the University of Iowa in 1942, and a Ph.D. from there in 1945. His post-doctoral work was completed at Columbia University and New York University. He returned to the University of Utah in 1946 as a faculty member. He served in executive positions on the Music Critics Association and the American Musicological Society, was a music critic for the Salt Lake Tribune, the musical director of KSL, and then Dean of the College of Fine Arts at the University of Utah in 1955. He retired in 1964. He and his wife Betty had three children: Lowell M., Jr., Susan, and Thomas L. Durham died on November 10, 1992 in Salt Lake City.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 8150
Lowell M. Durham sheet music
Lowell M. Durham papers on Utah musicians
Lowell M. Durham papers on Mormon music
Lowell M. Durham clippings
Lowell M. Durham articles and drafts
Lowell M. Durham academic and personal papers
Lowell M. Durham ephemera
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts