Goldthwaite family papers
Goldthwaite family papers
Dates: approximately 1894-1944
Contains several documents related to the Goldthwaite family, and the Knight family by association. Includes two genealogical books with temple records of the Goldthwaite family, as well as a book with Knight family history, and another journal. All pertains to the family history and records in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Dated approximately 1894-1944.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Goldthwaite (Family : Goldthwaite, Jesse G., 1779-1870)
- Call Number: MSS 8197
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Maintained in original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Goldthwaite family papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8197; Goldthwaite family papers; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8197; LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Found in Harvard Heath's workroom in 2013.
- Acquisition Information
- Found; Harvard Heath's workroom; 2013.
- Subject Terms
- Goldthwaite family; Knight family; Home and Family; Mormons--Utah--Genealogy; Social Life and Customs
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Family histories; Genealogies
- Processing Information
- Processed; Kelsey Samuelsen, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2013.
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts. Contains papers related to Latter-day Saint family history.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Goldthwaite family papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Kelsey Samuelsen, student manuscripts processor, and John M. Murphy, curator.
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-23T04:36-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Goldthwaite family were farmers and merchants in Massachusetts, who later moved to upstate New York. Jesse G. Goldthwaite (1779-1870) had been born in Northbridge, Massachusetts on March 23, 1779. He married Sally Burt in 1808, and they had twelve children. Among these was a daughter, Lydia (1812-1884), who joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Canada in 1833. While the other members of the Goldthwaite family remained in and around New York, Lydia followed the Church to Ohio, Illinois, and eventually Utah. In 1835 she married Newel Knight, Sr. and they had eight children, including Jesse Knight (1845-1921).
comments powered by Disqus