Newell Weight papers
Newell Weight papers
Collection contains materials that were collected during Weight's years of teaching music at Provo High School, Brigham Young University, and University of Utah. It includes audiotapes, photographs, programs, newspaper clippings, and tour information. Materials dated 1948-1984.
- Extent: 8 folders (0.3 linear ft.). -- 7 boxes (5.2 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize folder (0.2 linear ft.). -- 6 oversize boxes (4.5 linear ft.). -- 3 film boxes (3.75 linear ft.)
- Creator: Weight, Newell
- Call Number: MSS 8226
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Newell Weight papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8226; Newell Weight papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8226, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Gary H. Weight in 2013.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Gary H. Weight; 2013.
- Subject Terms
- Weight, Newell--Archives; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Colleges and Universities; Education; Music teachers--Utah--Archives; Music--Instruction and study--Utah; Performing Arts; Student Life
- Genre / Form
- Audiotapes; Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Photographs; Programs
- Processing Information
- Processed; Cindy Brightenburg, Special Collections Reference Assistant; Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor; and John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Weight (Newell) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-28T12:53-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Newell Weight (1916-2009) was an academic music educator in Utah.
Newell Bryan Weight was born in Springville, Utah on August 1, 1916, to parents Ralph and Minerva Bryan Weight. He married Dorothy Hill on July 20, 1936 in Springville, Utah. After graduating from Brigham Young University with a master's degree in music education, he received his doctorate in music from University of Southern California.
Weight began working at Provo High School in 1948, but the following year moved to Brigham Young University and founded the BYU A Cappella Choir, serving as director for thirteen years. In 1962, he moved to the University of Utah where he expanded and refined their a cappella choir. While there, his choirs received two Grammy nominations. At both schools, the choirs sang at multiple events for school and church throughout the year, and he took his students on annual tours in the western United States. He served as chairman of the Music Department at the University of Utah, until retiring in 1984.
Weight died on August 1, 2009 in Orem, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus