Robert Duke papers
Robert Duke papers
Dates: bulk 1890-1921, 1881-1946
Contains photocopies of papers related to Robert Duke and his descendants. Includes Duke's missionary journal, Relief Society records from the Heber First Ward, and miscellaneous documents related to Duke and his descendants. Dated 1881-1921. Also includes a copy of a stock certificate for Louis or Mable Jorgensen, dated 1946.
- Extent: 1 oversize box (1.33 linear ft.) : 5 folders
- Creator: Duke, Robert, 1857-1920
- Call Number: MSS 8262
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Robert Duke papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8262; Robert Duke papers; 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8262, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Materials were loaned in 1999 by Dennis Wright, great-grandson of Robert Duke, to be copied by Special Collections and the originals were returned to the donor.
- Acquisition Information
- Loaned and copied; Dennis Wright; 1999.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Utah--Heber City; Duke family; Duke, Robert, 1857-1920--Archives; Religion; Mormon missionaries--Indiana--Diaries; Mormon missionaries--Ohio--Diaries; Relief Society; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
- Genre / Form
- Certificates; Deeds; Diaries; Financial records; Photocopies
- Processing Information
- Processed; Ryan K. Lee; 2013.
- Appraisal Information
- Mormon diarists (The Archives of the Mormon Experience.)
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Duke (Robert) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Ryan K. Lee
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-10T04:29-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Robert Duke (1857-1920) was a Mormon missionary in the Northern States Mission, a farmer, and a bishop in Heber City, Utah.
Robert Duke was born December 4, 1857 in Provo, Utah to Robert Stone Duke and Anna Ross Young. On February 9, 1882 he married Anna Josephine Peterson, and they had eight children together. He served as a missionary in the Northern States Mission from 1890-1892, serving primarily in Indiana and Ohio. Robert also served a mission for the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association in Tooele from 1898-1899. He was ordained a bishop of the Heber East Ward in 1901, and in 1903 became bishop of the Heber First Ward. Robert was a farmer and active in Heber City serving on the city council, county treasurer, and as secretary and treasurer of the Heber Mercantile Company. He died on October 15, 1920 in Heber City, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus