This collection contains a variety of materials regarding the Angelaires harp ensemble. Includes touring itineraries and information, programs, correspondence, news clippings, photographs, season scrapbook, and ensemble arrangements. The itineraries provide logistics for each of the six tours. Correspondence is a combination of professional and personal, including several of the Angelaire members and their producers. The photographs are both professional and personal in nature, detailing costumes and venues or life on the road. Lastly, the arrangements come from a variety of arrangers, with notations indicating performance use. Dated 1947-2000.
- Extent: 4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Angelaires (Musical group)
- Call Number: MSS 8266
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Music Special Collections; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Collection is arranged in five series: 1. Angelaires season records, 1950-1991. 2. Angelaires financial records, 1949-1954. 3. Angelaires correspondence, 1947-2000. 4. Angelaires legal documents, 1949-1958. 5. Angelaires ensemble arrangements, approximately 1949-1958.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish materials from Angelaires records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8266; Angelaires records; Music Special Collections; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8266, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Kerstin Allvin, in 2013.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated, Kerstin Allvin, 2013.
- Subject Terms
- Musicians--United States--Photographs; Harp ensembles, Arranged--Scores and parts; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Genre / Form
- Contracts; American newspapers
- Processing Information
- Processed; Jenna Faulkner, student research assistant, and David A. Day, curator; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Prominent Harpists, (Section IV.a.i. International Harp Collection Development Policy January 2011).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Angelaires records
- Finding Aid Author
- Jenna Faulkner, Student Research Assistant
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-02-16 15:00:12 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Angelaires Harp Ensemble (approximately 1950-1958) was a popular touring music production accross the United States and Canada.
The Angelaires began as the Philadephia Harp Ensemble – a group of five Curtis Institute students under the direction of Virginia Werner Hatter. These five were Elizabeth Yockey, Jeanne Fintz, Virginia Werner Hatter, Carol Baum, and Marian Harding. During this time they were discovered Howard Lanin. Under the direction of Carlos Salzedo, and many employed arrangers, the ensemble transformed into a production. The arrangements came from Carlos Salzedo, Paul Soffray (Carol Baum's Husband), Maurice Peress, and many others. They began touring in 1951, and by their 1953-1954 season they were hitting over 100 venues in the United States and Canada. During this time they were featured on such programs as Ed Sullivan's "Toast of the Town." The Angelaires have also appeard in shows and concerts with such important stars as James Melton, Kate Smith, Herb Shriner, Victor Borge, Conrad Thibault, Andre Kostelanetz, Vivian Della Chiesa, Paul Lavelle, and Frank Sinatra. The members of the Angelaires from 1951-1958 include: Patricia Wentworth, Gayle Horn, Jude Mollenhauer, Ruther Wickersham, Joan Harrison, Genevieve Duffy, Bonnie Ward, Marjo Breusing, Jaleen Haden, Lizbeth Wilfey, Jeanne Chalifoux, Kathleen Haden, Diane Williams, Marian Harding, Bonnie Ward, and Nanette Norton.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 8266
Angelaires season records
Angelaires financial records
Angelaires legal documents
Angelaires ensemble arrangements
Dates: approximately 1949-1958
Help with this Collection
Curator - Music Special Collections