Diary on Mormon overland travel
Diary on Mormon overland travel
Dates: 1854 June-September
Transcription of a diary by an unidentified Mormon pioneer describing an overland journey from Missouri to Utah. Author may have been part of the James Brown Company, and includes mention of a Danish company that may be the Hans Peter Olsen Company. Journal is dated June-September 1854. Transcription is dated 1990. Includes a copy of Emily Christiansen's original transcription dated 1960.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Christiansen, Emily. -- Salmon, Louise Marie, 1917-2011
- Call Number: MSS 8296
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Diary on Mormon overland travel must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Located in Box 593.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8296; Diary on Mormon overland travel; 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8296, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- When this transcription came into Special Collections is unknown. The original diary was found and transcribed by Emily Christiansen in 1960. Louise Salmon re-typed and made some punctuation modifications to Christensen's transcription in 1990. Location of original is unknown.
- Acquisition Information
- Found; LTPSC stacks; 2013.
- Subject Terms
- Brown, James, 1801-1863; Olsen, Hans Peter, 1821-1865; Immigration and American Expansion; Mormons--Emigration and immigration--History--19th century; Overland Journeys to the Western United States
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Transcripts
- Processing Information
- Processed; Ryan K. Lee; 2013.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS cultural, family, social, intellectual, mission and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development policy, 1 v., November 2013.)
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Diary on Mormon overland travel
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Ryan K. Lee
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-12-01T04:14-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Emily Christiansen was a genealogist who lived in Ogden, Utah in the 1960s.
Louise Marie Salmon (1917-2011) was a genealogist from Ogden, Utah.
Louise Marie Linton was born on October 21, 1917 in Ogden, Utah to Leroy and Lillian Lovisa Christofferson Linton. On June 15, 1943 she married David William Salmon and they had four children together. During her married life Louise lived in Palo Alto and Los Altos, California, and Provo, Utah. She was passionate about genealogy and family history research. Louise died on October 13, 2011 in Provo, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus