John M. Butler address
John M. Butler address
Dates: 1936 October 7
Materials include a typed address delivered by John M. Butler at the Centerville Second Ward on October 7, 1936. The address pertains to his personal family history, and specifically the story of Ellen Hancock Burns MacDuff, who immigrated from England to the United States and travelled to Utah with the Mormon Pioneers.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Butler, John M., 1878-1966
- Call Number: MSS 8340
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John M. Butler address must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Located in box 598
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8340; John M. Butler address; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8340, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Purchased from Benchmark Books in 2013.
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; Benchmark Books; 2013.
- Subject Terms
- MacDuff, Ellen Hancock Burns, 1812-1885; Bountiful (Utah)--Biography; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; England--Emigration and immigration; Pioneers
- Genre / Form
- Family histories; Genealogies
- Processing Information
- Processed; Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor; 2013.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Butler (John M.) address
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Margaret Weddle
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-02T04:09-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
John M. Butler (1878-1966) was a business owner, a grocer, and a proud family historian.
John MacDuff Butler was born on March 2, 1878 in Salt Lake City, Utah, to parents William L. and Jane Rowan Macduff Butler. Like his father, he went into the grocery business, and eventualy owned his own store. On October 7, 1936, he wrote and delivered an address to the Centerville Second Ward that outlined his family history, naming his grandparents, his mother and her siblings, and enumerating the extended family at that time. He died on October 13, 1966 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus