Franklin L. West oral histories
Franklin L. West oral histories
Contains the personal oral histories of West, recorded between 1950 and 1959 on twelve Mylar reels and eighteen audiocassettes. Includes details about his time with the Department of Education of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Extent: 1 carton (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: West, Franklin L. (Franklin Lorenzo Richards), 1885-1966
- Call Number: MSS 8353
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Donor restricted until 2020; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Franklin L. West oral histories must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8353; Franklin L. West oral histories; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8353; LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Found in the stacks in 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Found; stacks; 2014.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Department of Education--History; West family; West, Franklin L. (Franklin Lorenzo Richards), 1885-1966; Church Educational System; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Religion; Church officers--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Interviews
- Genre / Form
- Audiocassettes; Audiotapes; Oral histories
- Processing Information
- Processed; Peter Hoyt, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- West (Franklin L.) oral histories
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Peter Hoyt
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-23T04:10-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Franklin L. West (1885-1966) was a Latter-day Saint physics professor in Utah. He served as the Commissioner of Education for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Franklin L. West was born on February 1, 1885 in Ogden, Utah. He earned his B.S. from the Utah Agricultural College in 1904 and went on to earn his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in 1911. West became a physics professor at Utah Agricultural College and eventually became the dean of faculty there. From 1935 to 1937 West served as the second assistant in the general superintendency of the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association. In 1936 West was called to be the Commissioner of Church Education for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He served in that position until 1954. West died on October 21, 1966 in Cottonwood, Salt Lake County, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus