L. John Bingham papers
L. John Bingham papers
Collection contains a Luther Bible, an LDS Triple Combination (Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price), and The Voice of Warning, all in German. Also includes a daily appointment book, in German and English. Dated approximately 1938-1940.
- Extent: 2 folders (0.2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Bingham, L. John (Leonard John), 1918-2007
- Call Number: MSS 8363
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials in German and English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from L. John Bingham papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Loacted in box 601
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8363; L. John Bingham papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8363, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Materials were donated by Lanell Reeder on January 29, 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Lanell Reeder; January 29, 2014.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. German-Austrian Mission; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Sacred books; Religion; Diaries
- Genre / Form
- Agendas; Books; Daybooks; Missionary plans; Pamphlets; Schedules
- Processing Information
- Processed; Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor; and John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Bingham (L. John) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Margaret Weddle
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-02T04:09-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
L. John Bingham (1918-2007) was a Latter-day Saint missionary, doctor, and family man.
Leonard John Bingham was born on December 15, 1918 in Ogden, Utah, to parents Leonard Ole and Huldah Nordquist Bingham. He served an LDS mission to the German-Austrian Mission, and was with the missionaries who were evacuated from Europe at the beginning of World War II; he then completed his mission time in the Centeral States Mission. He attended University of Utah, where he completed a pre-medical degree; then attended University of Pennsylvania, where he attended medical school.
He married Helen Williams on December 30, 1943 in Salt Lake City, Utah, and together had five children.
He joined the Army Medical Corp near the end of WWII, and served as a Captain with the occupational forced in the Pacific. He continued with the Air Force Reserve until 1971. After his time with the Army after WWII, he began private practice as a family doctor in both Utah and Idaho. When he retired, he and his wife served an LDS mission to the Minila Philippines Mission as the area medical coordinator.
John Bingham died on July 7, 2007, in Idaho Falls, Idaho.
comments powered by Disqus