The cliffs / Alyne Bistline
The cliffs / Alyne Bistline
Broadside with poem written by Alyne Bistline, with illustration of man at the base of a cliff. A note on the back of the page notes that it is from a book assembled by the students, teachers, and patrons of the Short Creek School at Short Creek, Arizona. Dated 1947.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Jessop, Alyne, 1922
- Call Number: MSS 8365
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from The cliffs / Alyne Bistline must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Located in box 601
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8365; The cliffs / Alyne Bistline; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8365, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Purchased from Ken Sanders Rare Books in 2013.
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; Ken Sanders Rare Books; 2013.
- Subject Terms
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Fine Arts; Literature; Truth--Religious aspects--Poetry
- Genre / Form
- American poetry; Art
- Processing Information
- Processed; Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor; and John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Cliffs / Alyne Bistline
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Margaret Weddle
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-02T04:09-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Alyne Jessop (born 1922) was an educator in Short Creek, Arizona.
Lula Alyne Bistline was born on July 11, 1922 in Logan, Utah to John A. and Jennie Bistline. She was raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Cache Valley, but became the plural wife of Joseph Lyman Jessop, Jr. in 1941. Two years later she moved to Short Creek, Arizona to join the United Effort Plan, and also became connected with the Short Creek School. Shortly after her arrival in Arizona in 1943 her husband died, and she later became the plural wife of his brother, Edson Porter Jessop.
Jessop and her family were caught up in the Short Creek Raid in 1953, and she lived with her children in a Mormon home in Mesa, Arizona in its wake. She later returned to her home, and currently resides in Colorado City, Arizona.
comments powered by Disqus