Daviess County legal documents
Daviess County legal documents
Photocopies of handwritten court proceedings of cases tried in Daviess County and Boone County, Missouri. The trials relate to Joseph Smith (1805-1844), the first president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and others being tried for treason; the trial of Parley P. Pratt (1807-1857), an apostle of the Church, for murder; testimony against Caleb Baldwin; and testimony against King Follet on charges of robbery. Dated 1839.
- Extent: 4 folders (0.25 linear ft.)
- Creator: Daviess County (Mo.). Court
- Call Number: MSS 846
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Daviess County (Mo.) legal documents must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 846; Daviess County (Mo.) legal documents; 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 846, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Custodial history of collection is unknown.
- Acquisition Information
- Source of acquisition is unknown.
- Subject Terms
- Mormons--Missouri--History; Mormon Church--Presidents--History; Courts--Missouri--History--Sources; Daviess County (Mo.)--History; Boone County (Mo.)--History--Sources; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Church Government; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Politics, Government, and Law; Civil Procedure and Courts; Smith, Joseph, Jr., 1805-1844; Pratt, Parley P. (Parley Parker), 1807-1857; Follet, King; Daviess County (Mo.). Court; Boone County (Mo.). Court; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Apostles--History; Baldwin, Caleb, 1791-1849
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Record updated for DACS compliance; Ryan K. Lee; 2017.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development policy IV.a.i.1, November 2013).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Daviess County (Mo.) legal documents
- Finding Aid Author
- Amy Perez
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2017-03-10 20:44:42 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Daviess County, Missouri, court is a civil court based in Gallatin, Daviess County, Missouri.
Daviess County was established in 1836, and was settled largely by Mormons in 1838 after they were forced out of Jackson and Clay Counties to the south. Joseph Smith and other early Mormon Church leaders were charged with several crimes during their stay in the county from 1838-1839, and many of these trials took place in the Daviess County court.
comments powered by Disqus