George B. Ellsworthe papers
George B. Ellsworthe papers
Contains the papers of professional dancer George B. Ellsworthe. Included are many programs and brochures from productions he was featured in or put on, newspaper clippings about productions, letters pertaining to his career, personal papers, a book containing his family's history, books about dancers and dance, and scrapbooks. Photographs of his dance students and their productions and photographs of his home and family life are included as well. Materials are dated 1940-2006.
- Extent: 1 carton (1.0 linear ft.)
- Creator: Ellsworthe, George B., 1926-2012
- Call Number: MSS 8500
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Geroge B. Ellsworthe papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8500; George B. Ellsworthe papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8500, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Collection was donated by Pepperdine University in 2013.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Pepperdine University; 2013.
- Subject Terms
- Dance; Scrapbooks; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Performing Arts; Ellsworthe, George B., 1926-2012
- Genre / Form
- Personal papers; Photographs
- Ballet dancers
- Processing Information
- Processed; Catie Freedman, student manuscript processor, John M. Murphy, curator; 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Ellsworthe (George B.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Catie Freedman
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-09 15:20:17 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
George B. Ellsworthe (1926-2012) was a professional dancer.
George B. Ellsworthe was born on December 25, 1926 in Crookston, Minnesota to parents Chas P. and Marguerite Ellsworth. He was the youngest of six boys. As a young boy, his family moved to Grand Junction, Colorado where they worked as cattle ranchers.
He was sent to Shattuck Military Adademy in Fairbault, Minnesota for his formal eductaion, but his passion was dancing, a skill he had been developing since age five. Following his graduation, he moved to Hollywood, California where he landed a role in Mia Slavenska's ballet company. He toured the United States and Europe with this company before dancing in feature films. It is in Hollywood that he met his lifetime partner Frank James Vinci. He founded and operated three American Academy of Dance studios.
Ellsworthe passed away on October 15, 2012 in Palm Springs, California.
comments powered by Disqus