Gordon Childs papers on the Viola d'Amore
Gordon Childs papers on the Viola d'Amore
Dates: 1602-2014, bulk 1935-1997
The collection contains materials pertaining to Gordon Childs’ research on, experience with, and study of, the viola d’amore. It includes his personal collection of viola d'amore music, his research on the viola d'amore, and other materials related to well-known contemporary viola d’amore players and composers. Dated 1602-2014 with the bulk being from 1935-1997.
- Extent: 5 boxes (2.5 linear ft.). -- 2 oversize boxes (3.32 linear ft.)
- Creator: Childs, Gordon. -- Ceo, Joseph. -- Gibbs, Geoffrey, 1940. -- Millett, Robert. -- Muradian, Vazgen. -- Nelhybel, Vaclav. -- Piltz, Hans-Karl. -- Thomason, Daniel. -- Voigtlander, Hugo Walter, 1859-1933. -- Wunderle, Carl
- Call Number: MSS 8507
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Music Special Collections; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials in
English, German, and Italian.
- Arranged into 16 series: 1. Gordon Childs' Arrangements and Edits, Approximately 1700-1999, bulk 1935-1999. 2. Gordon Childs Collection on Fellow Violists, 1782-2014, bulk 1900-2014. 3. Gordon Childs Collection on "In The Pasha's Garden", 1934-1986. 4. Gordon Childs Complete Photocopies, 1602-1987, bulk 1890-1987. 5. Miscellaneous Excerpts from Gordon Childs' Musical Library, 1690-1947, bulk 1879-1947. 6. Gordon Childs Performance and Publicity papers on the Viola d'Amore, 1954-2014. 7. Gordon Childs papers on Ancient Instruments, 1971. 8. Gordon Childs Correspondence on the Viola d'Amore, 1969-2014. 9. Gordon Childs papers on the International Viola d'Amore Congresses, 1926-2014, bulk 1996-2014. 10. Gordon Childs collection of visual material on the International Viola d'Amore Congresses, 1982-2006. 11. Gordon Childs photographs of Viola d'Amore performances in Wyoming and Utah, 1990-1997. 12. Gordon Childs papers on the discovery of Walter Voigtlander's Viola d'Amore and music, 2001-2009. 13. Gordon Childs Viola d'Amore papers from Karl Stumpf, 1968-2005. 14. Gordon Childs papers on the Viola d'Amore Society Newsletters, 1977-2014. 15. Gordon Childs papers on the research of the Viola d'Amore for master's thesis, 1952-1954, bulk March 1952-July 1952. 16. Miscellaneous Excerpts from Gordon Childs' Musical Library, approximately 1661-2006, bulk approximately 1913-2006.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Gordon Childs papers on the Viola d'Amore must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8507; Gordon Childs papers on the Viola d'Amore; Music; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8507
- Custodial History
- Donated by Gordon Childs in 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Gordon Childs; 2014.
- Subject Terms
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Music; Letters; Biography; Opera; Newspaper reading; Viola d'amore; Viola--Congresses; Viola d'amore--Congresses; Childs, Gordon; Ceo, Joseph; Gibbs, Geoffrey, 1940-; Millett, Robert; Muradian, Vazgen; Nelhybel, Vaclav; Piltz, Hans-Karl; Thomason, Daniel; Voigtlander, Hugo Walter, 1859-1933; Wunderle, Carl
- Genre / Form
- Scores; Certificates; Programs; Contracts; Articles; Advertisements; Newspapers; Manuscripts; Photocopies; Viola music; Viola d'Amore music
- Processing Information
- Processed; Caryn Jackson, student manuscript processor, and David Day, curator; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Prominent Violist, (Section IV Primrose International Viola Archive Collection Development Policy January 2011).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Childs (Gordon) papers on the Viola d'Amore
- Finding Aid Author
- Caryn Jackson
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-05-18 14:16:27 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Dr. Gordon Childs (born 1927) is a well-known viola d'amore performer and teacher and was one of the co-founders of the International Viola d'Amore Society/Congress.
Born on October 22, 1927 in Springville, Utah, Gordon B. Childs has B.A. and M.A. degrees in Music Education and Musicology from Brigham Young University and the Ed.D. degree in Music Administration from the University of Montana.
A violist and violinist, he was introduced to the Viola d’Amore by Professor Homer Wakefield in a music history class at BYU in the fall of 1951. He subsequently wrote his master’s thesis on the History, Technique and Literature of the Viola d’Amore, and played a graduate recital of viola d’amore music using Professor Wakefield’s instrument.
From solo to chamber music to concerti, he has given solo recitals, chamber music concerts and played concertos with symphony orchestras in most of the mid-west and western states in America and in Mexico, Poland and Germany.
Assisted by Dr. Myron Rosenblum of New York and Dr. Daniel Thomason of California, the directors of the Viola d’Amore Society of America, Dr. Childs hosted the first International Viola d’Amore Congress in 1982 at the University of Wyoming in Laramie where he was on the music faculty. Since the success of this first Congress, others have been held every other year in many cities in the United States, in England, Germany, and Poland including two he organized in Utah after retiring there in 1993.
Even after 21 years of retirement in Orem, Utah, Dr. Childs still teaches and performs on this beautiful “Viola d’Amore, Viole d’Amour, Viola of Love.”
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 8507
Gordon Childs arrangements and edits
Dates: approximately 1700-1999----bulk 1935-1999
Gordon Childs Collection on Fellow Violists
Dates: 1782-2014----bulk 1900-2014
Gordon Childs Collection on "In The Pasha's Garden"
Gordon Childs Complete Photocopies
Dates: 1602-1987----bulk 1890-1987
Miscellaneous excerpts from Gordon Childs' Musical Library
Gordon Childs performance and publicity papers on the Viola d'Amore
Gordon Childs papers on Ancient Instruments
Gordon Childs Correspondence on the Viola d'Amore
Gordon Childs papers on the International Viola d'Amore Congresses
Gordon Childs collection of visual material on the International Viola d'Amore Congresses
Gordon Childs photographs of Viola d'Amore performances in Wyoming and Utah
Gordon Childs papers on the discovery of Walter Voigtlander's Viola d'Amore and music
Gordon Childs Viola d'Amore papers from Karl Stumpf
Gordon Childs papers on the Viola d'Amore Society Newsletters
Gordon Childs papers on the research of the Viola d'Amore for master's thesis
Dates: 1952-1954----March 1952-July 1952
Miscellaneous Excerpts from Gordon Childs' Musical Library
Dates: Approximately 1661-2006----Approximately 1913-2006
Help with this Collection
Curator - Music Special Collections