Sherman P. Lloyd papers
Sherman P. Lloyd papers
Contains materials related to Sherman P. Lloyd's service as Utah congressman. Election pamphlets and posters acn be found within the materials as well as materials from after his election including: letters from Lloyd to Washington D.C., his newsletters to the state of Utah discussing the happenings of Congress and his plans for action, and bill outlines. Materials are dated 1961-1963.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
- Creator: Lloyd, Sherman P. (Sherman Parkinson), 1914-1979
- Call Number: MSS 8537
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Sherman P. Lloyd papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8537; Sherman P. Lloyd papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8537, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- It is unknown how the collection was obtained.
- Acquisition Information
- Subject Terms
- Politics, Government, and Law; Political Campaigns; United States--Politics and government; Lloyd, Sherman P. (Sherman Parkinson), 1914-1979
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Catie Freedman, student manuscript processor, John M. Murphy, curator; 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Lloyd (Sherman P.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Catie Freedman
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-06 16:45:09 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Sherman P. Lloyd (1914-1979) was a United States congressman.
Sherman P. Lloyd was born on January 11, 1914 in St. Anthony, Idaho to parents Charles Edward and Lucy Smart Parkinson Lloyd. Lloyd received his B.S. from Utah State Universtiy in 1935 and went on to study law at George Washington University where he received his LL.B. in 1939.
In 1939 he was admitted to the bar and began practice of law in Salt Lake City, Utah. In 1954 he served as a member of the state senate. In 1962, he was elected as a member of the House of Representatives for the state of Utah. He served there until 1965. Two years later he was reelected and served until 1973.
He married Edith Ann Gunn on September 25, 1935. Together they had four children.
Lloyd passed away on December 15, 1979 in Salt Lake City, Utah where he is buried.
comments powered by Disqus