Adele Cannon Howells papers
Adele Cannon Howells papers
Collection contains materials pertaining to the life and work of Adele Cannon Howells and David P. Howells. It contains correspondences concerning David's work in the film industry as well as Adele's work within the church. Collection contains personal papers documenting their life as a couple as well as travels around the world and other ephemera from their married life. Materials are dated 1899-1949.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Howells, Adele Cannon, 1886-1951
- Call Number: MSS 8539
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Adele Cannon Howells papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8539; Adele Cannon Howells papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8539, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by unknown party in 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; 2014.
- Subject Terms
- Material Types; Correspondence; Motion picture industry; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Primary; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Howells, Adele Cannon, 1886-1951; Howells, David P., 1894-1939
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Catie Freedman,student manuscript processor, John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Howells (Adele Cannon) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Catie Freedman
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-17 12:12:55 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Biographical / Historical
Adele Cannon Howells (1886-1951) was a mother and general Primary president for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Adele Cannon Howells was born on January 11, 1886, in Salt Lake City, Utah, to parents George M. and Adelaide Morris Cannon. She married David P. Howells on March 13, 1913, in Salt Lake City, Utah. The couple moved to Los Angeles where they had their daughter Francis Cannon Howells.
David passed away and, following his death, Howells accepted the request to serve as first counselor in the Primary general presidency. She sereved in this position from 1940-1943. In 1943, previous President May Hinkley died and Howells was asked to fill the position. She served as Primary general president for nine years.
Howells died on April 14, 1951 in Salt Lake City, Utah. She is burried in Glendale, California.
comments powered by Disqus