Fenton Lyn Drake oral history
Fenton Lyn Drake oral history
Dates: 2 October 2012
Contains an Oral history interview with Fenton Lyn Drake, conducted by Jacob Nelson on October 2, 2012 for a World Civilizations course taken at Brigham Young University. The oral history discusses Fenton Lyn Drake's pre-Vietnam experience including: his mission, the draft, and deferments. He then tells about his combat experience in the war and his opportunity to sare the gospel with fellow soldiers, and his post war experiences. Dated October 2, 2012.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
- Creator: Drake, Fenton Lyn, 1942-2014. -- Nelson, Jacob
- Call Number: MSS 8546
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Fenton Lyn Drake oral history must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8546; Fenton Lyn Drake oral history; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8546, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Materials were donated by Jacob Nelson in 2012.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Jacob Nelson; 2012.
- Subject Terms
- Politics, Government, and Law; Military; Vietnam War, 1961-1975; Drake, Fenton Lyn, 1942-2014; Nelson, Jacob
- Genre / Form
- Oral histories
- Processing Information
- Processed; Catie Freedman, student manuscript processor, John M. Murphy, curator; 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Drake (Fenton Lyn) oral history
- Finding Aid Author
- Catie Freedman
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-07 10:22:14 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Fenton Lyn Drake (1942-2014) was a war veteran and lawyer.
Fenton Lyn Drake was born on July 28, 1942 in Hawthorne, Nevada to parents Daniel and Ruth Fredrickson Drake. He grew up in Nevada and his childhood was closely related to his father's railroad career which required the family to move often. In 1963 he began his 3 year mission service to Paris, France. Following his mission he enlisted in the Marine Corps and became a Captain, serving several tours of duty in Vietnam.
Upon returning home, he met KaraLyn Leavitt and they were soon married. Together they had three daughters. He graduated from Brigham Young University and later received a Juris Doctorate from Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego, California. He worked as a court clerk in the Superior Court of San Diego.
He passed away on July 28, 2014 in Portland, Oregon. He is buried in San Diego, California.
comments powered by Disqus