J. E. Broaddus papers
J. E. Broaddus papers
Dates: approximately 1848-1980
Materials include manuscripts of J.E. Broaddus' writing, photographs, newspaper clippings, correspondence, and J.E. Broaddus' research notes. There are also pamphlets, primarily about Utah and Mormon history, and some photograph albums. There is also a photocopy of a book by J. E. Broaddus from the Utah State University Special Collections. The book is "Report of U.E.R.A. Project No. S-F2-53: Archaeological and Paleontological Exploration." There is also a slide projector that belonged to J. E. Broaddus. Materials dated approximately 1848-1980.
- Extent: 5 boxes (2.5 linear ft.). -- 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.). -- 1 item Projector
- Creator: Broaddus, J. E. (John Eugene)
- Call Number: MSS 8608
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Photograph Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Technical Requirements
- Kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
- Arranged in nine series: 1. J. E. Broaddus manuscripts, approximately 1900-1954. 2. J. E. Broaddus research, approximately 1891-1970. 3. J. E. Broaddus correspondence, approximately 1946-1951. 4. J. E. Broaddus speeches, approximately 1949-1954. 5. J. E. Broaddus miscellaneous papers, approximately 1900-1980. 6. J. E. Broaddus scrapbooks on death of J. E. and Clara Broaddus, 1954-1960. 7. J. E. Broaddus collection of photographs, approximately 1848-1954. 8. J. E. Broaddus slides, approximately 1900-1954. 9. J. E. Broaddus projector, 1946.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from J. E. Broaddus Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8608; J. E. Broaddus Papers; Photograph Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8608, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Materials were donated to the L. Tom Perry Special Collections by Sandy Borchelt, a descendant of J. E. Broaddus, in 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Sandy Borchelt; 2014.
- Separated Material
- The following materials were originally included with the collection, but were catalogued separately: "The Mormon Tabernacle with its world-famed organ and choir" / Levi Edgar Young "Reorganized or Josephite Mormonism, carefully considered in light of the Bible and of good reason" / John Danforth Nutting "In commemoration of the Divine ushering in of the dispensation of the fulness of times through Joseph Smith, the Prophet, in the Spring of 1820" "Additional studies in Mormonism and Masonry" / S. H. Goodwin "The Prophet Joseph Smith tells his own story" "Celestial Marriage?" "Priesthood Items" "Benefit for all will flow from the Colorado River Storage Project and participating projects" "A warning to all people of the Second Coming of Christ, 12th Message" "Echo Park Dam" "Delusions: An analysis of the Book of Mormon; with an examination of its internal and external evidences, and a refutation of its pretences to divine authority" / Alexander Campbell "The Mormons and their temples" / Gwen Marler Barney
- Subject Terms
- Newspapers; Mormons; Mormons--History; Utah--Photographs; Salt Lake City (Utah)--Photographs; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Literature; Environment and Conservation; Environmental Activism; Environmental Conditions; Social Life and Customs; Home and Family; Broaddus, J. E. (John Eugene)
- Genre / Form
- Photographs; Letters; Manuscripts; Pamphlets; Short stories, American; Books; Photograph albums
- Processing Information
- Processed; Anne Ashton, student photograph processor; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Photographs (Photograph Archives).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Broaddus (J. E.) Papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Anne Ashton
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-11-02 13:19:50 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Biographical / Historical
J. E. Broaddus (1882-1954) was a Utah optometrist, photographer, and national parks enthusiast.
John Eugene Broaddus was born January 17, 1882 in Plano, Illinois to Henry Arthur Broaddus and Viola Hail Broaddus. He moved to Salt Lake City, Utah in 1900 where he apprenticed himself to the Columbia Optical Company. He learned to make glass lenses and then became one of the leading optometrists in Utah. He married Clara Louise Deighton in 1906 and they had one daughter, Viola Louise. Sometime before 1916, he was introduced to both the natural wonders in Utah and photography. He helped to publicize many of these landscapes and campaign for them to secure national park and national monument status, including Bryce Canyon, Zion, Capitol Reef, and the future Dinosaur National Monument. He took photographs and created brochures for these and other sites to publicize them.
He died in Salt Lake City on April 16, 1954.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 8608
J. E. Broaddus manuscripts
Dates: approximately 1900-1954
J. E. Broaddus research
Dates: approximately 1891-1970
J. E. Broaddus correspondence
Dates: approximately 1946-1951
J. E. Broaddus projector
J. E. Broaddus slides
Dates: approximately 1900-1954
J. E. Broaddus collection of photographs
Dates: approximately 1848-1954
J. E. Broaddus scrapbooks on death of J. E. and Clara Broaddus
J. E. Broaddus miscellaneous papers
Dates: approximately 1900-1980
J. E. Broaddus speeches
Dates: approximately 1949-1954
Help with this Collection
Curator - Photograph Archives