Glenn Embree photographs
Glenn Embree photographs
Dates: approximately 1940-1995
Contains photographic negatives, transparencies, and prints of various sizes. Subjects include landscapes, architecture, celebrity and other portraits, fashion, World War II, and advertisements for food and beverages, automobiles, boats, and technology. There are also 16 mm film reels dealing with the same topics, especially landscapes and advertisements. Materials dated approximately 1940 to 1995.
- Extent: 26 boxes (13 linear ft.)
- Creator: Embree, Glenn
- Call Number: MSS 8684
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Photograph Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Glenn Embree photographs must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8684; Glenn Embree photographs; Photograph Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8684, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Materials were donated by the creator's son, Glenn F. Embree, in 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Glenn F. Embree; 2014.
- Subject Terms
- Business, Industry, Labor, and Commerce; Advertising and Marketing; Science, Technology, and Health; Social Life and Customs; Transportation; Sports and Recreation; Technology--Pictorial works; Celebrities--Pictorial works; Landscapes--Photographs; Architecture--Photographs; Models (Persons)--Portraits; Food--Pictorial works; Fashion photography; Automobiles--Photographs; Boats and boating--Photographs; Embree, Glenn; Embree, Glenn--Archives
- Genre / Form
- Nature photography; Portraits; Advertisements; Motion picture film
- Processing Information
- Processed; Anne Ashton, student photograph processor; 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- Photographs (Photograph Archives).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Embree (Glenn) photographs
- Finding Aid Author
- Anne Ashton
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-06-24 12:05:55 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Biographical / Historical
Glenn Embree (1913-1995) was an American commercial photographer.
Glenn Virgil Embree was born February 17, 1914 in Lakeport, California to Roy Virgil Embree and Eva Pearl Hendricks. He attended the University of California at Berkeley (USC), pursuing a major in Art. He later studied motion picture photography and set direction at USC. He developed a passion for photography as a set designer at MGM and went to work at Paul Hesse Studios in the late 1930s. He married Phyllis Forbes Caspary on May 18, 1941 in San Gabriel California. The following year, he joined the Air Force and served as a photo officer in China during World War II. He resumed his career in commercial photography at Hesse’s upon his return in 1946. He later opened his own studio in Hollywood, where he was quickly recognized as a color portrait and fashion photographer, with work appearing in or on the cover of “Harper’s,” “Vogue,” “Mademoiselle,” and “Look.” During his fifty year career in Hollywood, he photographed hundreds of motion picture, television, and recording celebrities for portraits and commercial endorsements. His commercial photography portfolio includes advertisements for automobiles, aircraft, food, fashion, entertainment, and architecture. In 1988, he moved to southeast Idaho, where he continued to produce calendar photos—on topics including classic automobiles, antique aircraft, barns, trains, and farm equipment. He died on February 20, 1995.
comments powered by Disqus