Noah Jenkinson diary
Noah Jenkinson diary
Transcriptions of diaries written by Noah Jenkinson during his service during the Civil War. Details day-to-day life in the regiment Jenkinson served with in Illinois. Transcribed by Delcia Hill. Materials dated 1864-1865.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Jenkinson, Noah, 1825-1903. -- Hill, Delcia, 1946
- Call Number: MSS 8732
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Noah Jenkinson diary must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 8732; Noah Jenkinson diary; 19th Century Western and Mormon Americana Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8732, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- The diaries came to the transcriber, Delcia Hill, from the great granddaughter of Noah Jenkinson, Barbara Loosli Sommer. After transcription, they were donated to the L. Tom Perry Special Collections in 2015.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Delcia Hill; 2015.
- Subject Terms
- Politics, Government, and Law; Military; Soldiers--United States; Jenkinson, Noah, 1825-1903; Hill, Delcia, 1946-
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Typescripts
- Processing Information
- Processed; Clarissa McIntire; 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Jenkinson (Noah) diary
- Finding Aid Author
- Clarissa McIntire
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-02-29 12:11:54 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Biographical / Historical
Noah Jenkinson (1825-1903) was a Mormon convert and a soldier in the American Civil War.
Noah Jenkinson was born on October 22, 1825, to John Jenkinson and Mary Illingworth Jenkinson in England. He was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on September 11, 1843. He married Hannah Howarth Smith on May 28, 1847. At the age of 24, Jenkinson traveled with his wife to Boston, Massachusetts, arriving on January 29, 1849.
Jenkinson worked as a barber before enlisting in the Union army on July 18, 1862 at age 36. He was discharged on June 11, 1865. He and his family later traveled to Utah.
Jenkinson died on April 30, 1903, in Cache County, Utah.
Delcia Hill (born 1946) is a genealogical researcher in Utah.
comments powered by Disqus