Milton Vaughn Backman papers
Milton Vaughn Backman papers
Dates: approximately 1943-2013
Includes research notes, articles, syllabi, lecture notes, publication manuscripts, diaries, genealogical materials, four computers, computer disks, audiocassettes, videocassettes, and other materials on professional career, teaching, and family history. Topics included with these materials tend to center around the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, focusing the Church's interactions with the cities of Kirtland, OH and Nauvoo, IL, as well as photos of the family and Milton's mission to the Nauvoo Vistors Center. Materials date approximately 1943-2013.
- Extent: 26 cartons (26 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.). -- 1 media box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Backman, Milton V. Jr., 1927-2016
- Call Number: MSS 8785
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in four series: 1. Milton Vaughn Backman personal papers, 1943-2013. 2. Milton Vaughn Backman mission papers, approximately 1990-2013. 3. Milton Vaughn Backman teaching papers, 1960-1991. 4. Milton Vaughn Backman research collection, 1943-2013.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Milton Vaughn Backman papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8785; Milton Vaughn Backman papers; 20th Century; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8785, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Collection donated by Milton V. Backman in October 2015.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Milton V. Backman; October 2015.
- Subject Terms
- Religion; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Research; Mormon Church--Ohio--Kirtland--History; Mormon missionaries--Illinois--Nauvoo; Mormon Church--Illinois--Nauvoo--History; Backman, Milton V. Jr., 1927-2016
- Genre / Form
- Photographs; Letters; Diaries; Audiocassettes; Videocassettes
- Processing Information
- Processed; Erin Owens; October 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007.)
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Backman (Milton Vaughn) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Erin Owens
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-09-29 16:20:55 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Milton Vaughn Backman, Jr. (1927-2016) is a historian of American religions with particular emphasis on the early history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Milton Vaughn Backman Jr. was born on June 11, 1927 in Salt Lake City, Utah. He enlisted in the Maritime Service near the end of World War II. After his Maritime Service, he served a mission in South Africa for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He then served in the Korean War. On his birthday in 1953 he married Kathleen McLatchy. He graduated with a degree in history from the University of Utah in 1954. He then went on to receive his PhD in history from the University of Pennsylvania in 1959. He was a professor of church history at Brigham Young University from 1960 to 1991.
He published many books including American Religions and the Rise of Mormonism, Christian Churches of America: Origins and Beliefs, Eyewitness Accounts of the Restoration, and many more. After retiring he served several short-term LDS missions in Nauvoo, Illinois and two additional LDS missions with his second wife Sharon Richey, in Nauvoo and Kirtland, Ohio. Backman died on February 6, 2016 in Herriman, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 8785
Milton Vaughn and Sharon Maureen Backman personal papers
Milton Vaughn Backman mission papers
Dates: approximately 1990-2013
Milton Vaughn Backman teaching papers
Milton Vaughn Backman research
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts