John M. Mills papers
John M. Mills papers
Contains papers related to Mills' career in education. Includes a notebook titled "Theory of Teaching," where Mills wrote his thoughts in teaching, as well as kept grades of those who attended the school at Colonia Diaz Academy located in Mexico. The notebook also includes a floor plan for the Academy building. The majority of the papers are undated and primarily untitled poems or letters in verse written by Mills about his experiences in education in Ogden, Utah and Gary, Indiana, including times he was ridiculed for his theories. Also included are some items related to the Nora Bowman and the Bowman and Wattis families, descendants of John Martin Mills. Dated 1889-1916.
- Extent: 3 folders (0.3 linear ft.)
- Creator: Mills, John M., 1869-1948
- Call Number: MSS 8794
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the John M. Mills papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8794; John M. Mills papers; 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8794, LTPSC
- Custodial History
- Donated by Anthony W. Bowman, grandson of Mills through Bowman's mother, in 2015.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Anthony W. Bowman; August 2015
- Subject Terms
- Education; Elementary and Secondary Education; Academic writing--Handbooks, manuals, etc.; Mills, John M., 1869-1948
- Genre / Form
- Prose poems, American; Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; Corinne Bird, student manuscript processor, and Ryan Lee, curator; 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and Western American and LDS cultural, family, social, intellectual, and religious hitory (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development policy IV.a.i.1 and 4, November 2013)
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Mills (John M.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Corinne Bird
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-03-30 10:50:26 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
John M. Mills (1869-1948) was a prominent educator in Utah.
Jonh Martin Mills was born on May 13, 1869 in Provo, Utah to Martin Walderfin Mills and Martha Ann Knight. Mills married Agnes Reid Mills, and together they had five children--John Martin Mills, Ruth Mills, Edward Kenneth Mills, Fanny Mills, and Hazel Mills. Mills had a prominent career in education. He wrote the "Theory of Teaching" between 1889-1891 which is about his time teaching at Colonia Diaz Academy. Mills died on Jan. 3, 1948 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus