Clifton G. M. Kerr and Irene Pack Kerr family papers
Clifton G. M. Kerr and Irene Pack Kerr family papers
Dates: approximately 1851-2000, bulk 1970-2000
Includes photograph albums, scrapbooks, histories, books, and other materials detailing the lives of Clifton and Irene Kerr and their family, the announcement and construction of the London Temple, Clifton's political career, important events for the two including their birthdays and funerals, cassette tapes of important events in their family (including welcome home talks, farewells, and devotionals), etc. Materials dated approximately 1848-2000 with the bulk of the materials dated between 1970-2000.
- Extent: 4 cartons (4 linear ft.). -- 5 oversize boxes (7.5 linear ft.). -- 2 boxes (1 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize folder (0.23 linear ft.)
- Creator: Kerr, Clifton G. M. (Clifton George Mercer), 1906-2000. -- Kerr, Irene Pack, 1907-1977
- Call Number: MSS 8844
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Technical Requirements
- Initial citation: MSS 8844; Clifton G. M. and Irene Pack Kerr family papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8844, LTPSC.
- Arranged in five series: 1. Clifton G. M. and Irene Pack Kerr photograph albums, 1920-1995. 2. Clifton G. M. and Irene Pack Kerr scrapbooks, 1928-1996. 3. Clifton G. M. and Irene Pack Kerr histories, 1851-2000. 4. Clifton G. M. and Irene Pack Kerr books, 1859-1981. 5. Clifton G. M. and Irene Pack Kerr miscellaneous materials, 1906-2000.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Clifton G. M. and Irene Pack Kerr family papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Carrie Kerr, relative of Clifton and Ireene Kerr, in March 2016.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Carrie Kerr; March 2016.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Church Government; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Missions and Missionaries; Politics, Government, and Law; Political Campaigns; Church buildings--England--Photographs; Church history; Utah; Maps; Diaries; Family records; Kerr, Clifton G. M. (Clifton George Mercer), 1906-2000; Kerr, Irene Pack, 1907-1977; Kerr family; Hodges, Alta Lillywhite, 1907-1985
- Genre / Form
- Photograph albums; Scrapbooks; Histories; Books
- Processing Information
- Processed; Eric Wolford, student manuscript processor, and Cory Nimer, curator; 2016.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.V, August 2007.)
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Kerr (Clifton G. M. and Irene Pack) family papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Eric Wolford
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2017-03-10 21:43:21 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Clifton G. M. Kerr (1906-2000) was politician in Utah. He also served as Mormon mission president in Great Britain between 1955 and 1958.
Clifton George Mercer Kerr was born to William and Rose Kerr in Plain City, Utah on October 7, 1906. After graduating Bear River High School and LDS Business College, he served a mission in Britain. After returning, he met and married his first wife, Irene Pack, on October 27, 1931. After raising four sons, in 1955 he was called to serve as the mission president to the British Mission, where he assisted in the construction of the London Temple. In Utah, he served as both a state senator and representative for Box Elder County, Utah--serving for sixteen years in total. On 1977, Irene died and Clifton remarried to Alta Hodges, who died in 1985. On June 4, 2000 he passed away from illness at the age of 93.
Irene Pack Kerr (1907-1977) was a Mormon woman in Utah, and wife of Clifton G.M. Kerr. Irene Pack Kerr was born in May 3, 1907 to John A. and Margaret Hodson Pack in Kamas, Utah. After growing up in the area, she eventually married Clifton G.M. Kerr on October 8, 1931. After giving birth to four children and serving in various local Church callings in the Tremonton area (particularly as a Stake Relief Society president), between 1953 and 1956 she traveled with her husband to the British Mission, where he presided as Mission President during the construction of the London Temple. After her return to Utah, she passed away due to illness on September 6, 1977.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 8844
Clifton G. M. and Irene Pack Kerr photograph albums
Clifton G. M. and Irene Pack Kerr scrapbooks
Clifton G. M. and Irene Pack Kerr histories
Clifton G. M. and Irene Pack Kerr books
Clifton G. M. and Irene Pack Kerr certificates and other material
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts