Clyde Max Bauer collection
Clyde Max Bauer collection
Dates: approximately 1908-1968
Materials collected and created by Clyde Max Bauer during his life. Includes autobiographal materials, books, maps and personal papers, and is largely related to his career as a ranger at Yellowstone National Park. Dated 1908-1968.
- Extent: 1 carton (1 linear ft). -- 1 oversize folder (1.33 linear ft.)
- Creator: Bauer, Clyde Max, 1886
- Call Number: MSS 8893
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Clyde Max Bauer collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 8893; Clyde Max Bauer collection; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 8893, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Victoria Bauer Tucker, granddaughter of Clyde Max Bauer, and Jeffery D. Tucker, great-grandson of Clyde Max Bauer, on July 15, 2016.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Victoria Bauer Tucker and Jeffery D. Tucker; 2016.
- Subject Terms
- Environment and Conservation; Environmental Conditions; Yellowstone National Park; Bauer, Clyde Max, 1886---Archives
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Maps; Books; Autobiographies
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth Kane, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2017.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Bauer (Clyde Max) collection
- Finding Aid Author
- Elizabeth Kane
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2017-10-18 09:21:50 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Clyde Max Bauer (1886-1963) was a geologist and park naturalist in Yellowstone National Park.
Bauer was born on April 5, 1886 in Bristol, Indiana to Matilda Sherck and Ruben Daniel Bauer. Clyde attended the University of Chicago where he played football and graduated in 1908 with a Bachelor of Science in geology with minors in botany and chemistry. Following his graduation he worked as a high school teacher in Illinois and then principal in Colorado. From 1911-1916 he worked as an assistant geologist for the United States Geological Survey. He later worked as a commercial geologist from 1916 to 1920 in Oklahoma and Texas. Clyde then worked as the chief geologist for the Nothern Oil Corporation and Midwest Exploration Company from 1921-1931. In 1932, Bauer recieved a Doctorate in Philosophy from the University of Colorado. Then as a park naturalist in Yellowstone National Park from 1932-1943, the chief park naturalist from 1943-1946, and director executive secreatary Yellowstone Library and Museum Association, 1932-1946.
Clyde Max Bauer married Clara Zenetta Hillix on November 16, 1911 and the couple had 3 children. Bauer died on February 6, 1963 in Los Angeles, California.
comments powered by Disqus