Brigham Young eyeglasses
Brigham Young eyeglasses
Dates: approximately 1865
A pair of eyeglasses that were made for Brigham Young after coming to Utah in 1847, and were left at the home of Emma Gardner in Payson or Nephi, Utah, on one his trips south prior to 1865.
- Extent: 1 oversize box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Call Number: MSS 9053
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
No linguistic content; Not applicable
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Brigham Young eyeglasses must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Inital citation: MSS 9053; Brigham Young eyeglasses; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 9053, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Brigham Young left them in Emma Gardner's home in approximately 1865. Donated to the BYU Office of the President in December 1973 by Jon Ritchie. Transferred to L. Tom Perry Special Collections August 2017.
- Acquisition Information
- Transferred; BYU Office of the President; August 2017.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Church Government; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
- Genre / Form
- Clothing; Artifacts
- Processing Information
- Processed; Hayley Gorham, student manuscript processor, and Ryan K. Lee, curator; 2012.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS and Utah and the American West cultural, social, and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development IV.a.i.1 and 4, November 2013).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Young (Brigham) eyeglasses
- Finding Aid Author
- Hayley Gorham
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-08-02 17:31:53 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Brigham Young (1801-1877) was a Mormon ecclesiastical leader and politician in Utah.
Brigham Young was born on June 1, 1801 in Witingham, Vermont. He joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1832, and moved to Kirtland, Ohio. He followed the migration of the Church from Ohio to Missouri to Nauvoo, Illinois. In February 1846 he led the Mormon exodus to the West, and was sustained as the second president of the Church on December 27, 1847. Arriving in Utah he settled in Salt Lake City, and in 1849 was appointed as governor of Utah Territory. Young passed away on August 29, 1877 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus