Dates: approximately 1920-1930
Contains four items from the Brigham Young University social unit for female students in Provo, Utah, called Nautilus: an initiation letter, a membership list, an invitation card, and a handbook. The initiation letter is a typed document that lays out instructions for what those joining Nautilus, called pledges, need to do and how they should act to be initiated into Nautilus. Some of these things include memorizing all member's names, memorizing a schedule of meetings, and keeping their initiation a secret from the public. The member list is a typed document dated October 10th, 1920. It lists 85 members and 22 other names written on the back. The invitation card is an undated, handwritten card that invites Helen Carlson to join Nautilus. Finally, the handbook is titled, "To the Nautilus from The Pledges of 1930." It contains the poem "The Chambered Nautilus" by Oliver Wendell Holmes. It also has five songs with lyrics, including "Pledge Song," and "Club Song." Contents date from approximately 1920 to 1930.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
- Creator: Nautilus (Social unit)
- Call Number: MSS 9075
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Nautilus records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 9075; Nautilus records; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 9075, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Merrill-Cazier Library. Special Collections and Archives, Utah State University, in May 2017.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Merrill-Cazier Library. Special Collections and Archives; May 2017.
- Subject Terms
- Education; Student Life; Letters; Women--Utah--Provo--Societies and clubs
- Genre / Form
- Manuals (Handbooks); Membership lists
- Processing Information
- Processed; Nate Burroughs, Manuscript Processing Specialist, and Cory Nimer, Curator; 2017.
- Appraisal Information
- Students and student organizations (University Archives Collection Development Policy, V. b. ii. 2. c, October 2015).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Nautilus records
- Finding Aid Author
- Nate Burroughs; Manuscript Processing Specialist
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-05-02 10:09:23 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Nautilus (1927-1962) was a social unit for female students at Brigham Young University. It was the second unit to be chartered at Brigham Young University in 1927 and was later disbanded by university at end of the 1961-1962 school year.
comments powered by Disqus