Salem Ward records

Salem Ward records

Dates: 1873-1970

Materials include a collection of records related to the Salem Ward in Salem, Utah. Includes documents related to the founding of the ward in the late 1800s, including a copy of the Articles of Incorporation, some membership certificates, financial records of the ward Relief Society, stock certificates for Salem Irrigation Canal Company from the 1940s, and documents related to the construction of a meetinghouse in 1970. Dated 1873-1970.

  • Extent: 1 folder (0.05 linear ft.)
  • Creator: Rees, Lawrence. -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Salem Ward (Salem, Utah). -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Salem 1st Ward (Salem, Utah). -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Salem 2nd Ward (Salem, Utah)
  • Call Number: MSS 9113
  • Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
  • Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
Languages and Scripts
English
Conditions of Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Salem Ward records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
Preferred Citation
Initial Citation: MSS 9113; Salem Ward records; 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 9113, LTPSC.
Custodial History
Donated by Lawrence Rees, former clerk of the Salem 1st ward, on February 20, 2018.
Acquisition Information
Donated; Lawrence Rees; February 20, 2018.
Subject Terms
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Church Government; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormons--Utah--Salem--History; Rees, Lawrence; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Salem Ward (Salem, Utah)
Genre / Form
Archives; Financial records
Processing Information
Processed; Shaelyn Stohl, student manuscript processor, and Ryan K. Lee, curator; 2018.
Appraisal Information
LDS, Utah and the American West cultural, social, and religious history (19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts collection development policy IV.A.I.1 and 4, November 2013).
Finding Aid ID Number
UPB_MSS9113
Finding Aid Title
Salem Ward records
Finding Aid Author
Shaelyn Stohl
Finding Aid Creator
This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-08-24 17:16:36 -0600.
Finding Aid Language
English
Biographical Info:

Administrative History

The Salem Ward in Salem, Utah was created in 1877 and served members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salem and in the surrounding areas of Payson and Spanish Fork.

The Church of Jesus Christ began several businesses in the Salem, Utah area in the 1860s, and the Salem Ward was formed in 1877. The first bishop of the Salem Ward was Robert H. Davis. Throughout its history, the Salem Ward belonged to the Utah Stake (1877-1901), the Nebo Stake (1901-1924), and the Palmyra Stake (1924-1956). In 1956 the stake and ward boundaries changed again, and the original Salem Ward ended as it split into the Salem 1st and 2nd Wards. Both successive wards formed part of the Spanish Fork Stake.

Administrative History

The Salem 1st Ward is an operating ward for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salem, Utah.

The Salem 1st Ward was created in 1956 when the original Salem Ward was split in two. At the time of its creation, the Salem 1st Ward formed part of the Spanish Fork Stake. In 1996 the stake boundaries were changed and the 1st Ward became part of the Salem West Stake.

Administrative History

The Salem 2nd Ward is an operating ward for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salem, Utah.

The Salem 2nd Ward was created in 1956 when the original Salem Ward was split in two. At the time of its creation, the Salem 2nd Ward formed part of the Spanish Fork Stake. In 1996 the stake boundaries were changed and the 2nd Ward became part of the Salem West Stake.



comments powered by Disqus

Site Navigation

Search this Collection

Collection Arrangement

Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description

Print View

Help with this Collection

Ask us a Question

Ryan Lee
Curator - 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts
ryan_lee@byu.edu