Gary Ervin Marx papers
Gary Ervin Marx papers
Dates: approximately 1960-1963
Includes materials related to the mission of Gary Ervin Marx in the Northern Far East Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Includes personal correspondence from Gary Marx to his family in Utah and to fellow missionaries in Japan. Contains proselyting material in both English and Japanese. Also contains graphic material comprised of photos and negatives taken in Japan of missionaries and Japanese citizens. Other printed ephemera from travels in Japan is included. Dated approximately 1960-1963.
- Extent: 2 boxes (1 linear ft.). -- 1 folder (0.05 linear ft.)
- Creator: Marx, Gary Ervin, 1938
- Call Number: MSS 9114
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Gary Ervin Marx papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 9114; Gary Ervin Marx papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 9114, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Purchased from Tschanz Rare Books on February 27, 2018.
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; Tschanz Rare Books; February 27, 2018.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--Japan--Correspondence; Mormon missionaries--Japan--Photographs; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Northern Far East Mission
- Genre / Form
- Photographs; Printed ephemera; Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; Shaelyn Stohl, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2018.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy II.B.5.IV, 2013)
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Marx (Gary Ervin) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Shaelyn Stohl
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-08-07 14:37:38 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Gary Ervin Marx (1938-present) served as a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Japan during the 1960s.
Gary was born on November 12, 1938 to parents Ervin and Edna Marx in Sterling, Utah. As a young man he was called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in what was then the Far East Mission (Japan) in 1960. Elder Marx continued his missionary service until he was released April 1, 1963. He later married Marilyn Jean Blaylock on March 31, 1969.
comments powered by Disqus