Lyman H. Bennett papers
Lyman H. Bennett papers
Predominately Fifth Judicial District Court of Montana with some Montana Supreme Court and other district courts. Documents are arranged alphabetically by the last name of the first plaintiff cited and in instances where a civil authority is the plaintiff, the document is arranged by the last name of the first defendant cited. Some documents are undated.
- Extent: 28 boxes (14 linear ft.)
- Creator: Bennett, Lyman H. (Lyman Hakes), 1914-1977
- Call Number: MSS 996
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Collection is divided into 7 series: 1. Correspondence from the law practice and judgeship of Lyman H. Bennett; 2. General Bennett family correspondence, 1870-1960; 3. Miscellaneous Bennett family papers, correspondence, and legal papers, 1870-1959; 4. Town papers of Bearcreek, Montana, 1926-1947; 5. Bennet family albums, photographs, and negatives, circa 1901; 6. Hotel registers, 1904-1913; and 7. Oversize Bennet family mementos, photographs and documents, 1872-1956.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Bennett family papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 996; Lyman H. Bennett papers; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 996, LTPSC.
- Other Finding Aids
- Item-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS996.xml
- Subject Terms
- Bennett, Alden J. (Alden Joseph), 1847-1919; Civil Procedure and Courts; Judges--Montana--History--Sources; Lawyers--Montana--History--Sources; Mayors--Virginia City (Mont.)--History--Sources; Politics, Government, and Law
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Notes; Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Processing Information
- Processed; 1998.
- Appraisal Information
- Collection provides historical information and documents about the Lyman H. Bennett family and ancestors who contributed to the settling of the West, thereby meeting the subject collecting criteria of 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Bennett (Lyman H.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Processed under the direction of the Curator of 20th & 21st Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-14T16:45-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Montana judge and lawyer.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 996
Lyman H. Bennett correspondence from his law practice and judgeship
Lyman H. Bennett family correspondence
Lyman H. Bennett family papers, correspondence, and legal papers
Town papers of Bearcreek, Montana
Lyman H. Bennett family albums, photographs, and negatives
Dates: circa 1901
Lyman H. Bennett collection of hotel registers
Bennett family mementos, photographs, and documents
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts