I. J. Harvey letter
I. J. Harvey letter
Photocopy of a handwritten letter addressed to Harvey's wife in Indiana. Harvey describes the experience of being a homesteader on the Missouri frontier and mentions the possibility of buying "negro" for 2 or 3 dollars. In a postscript Harvey relates a rumor that "Jo Smith and others have made their escape from the sheriff" by stealing two horses. He also states that supposedly Joseph Smith (1805-1844) had twenty thousand dollars with him.
- Extent: 1 item (1 leaf)
- Creator: Harvey, I. J.
- Call Number: MSS SC 1386
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from I. J. Harvey letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 1386; I. J. Harvey letter; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 1386, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Jo Ann Sloan Rogers in 1983.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Jo Ann Sloan Rogers; 1983.
- Subject Terms
- Harvey, I. J.--Correspondence; Smith, Joseph, Jr., 1805-1844; Frontier and pioneer life--Missouri--History--Sources; Immigration and American Expansion; Pioneers; Slavery--Missouri--History--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Harvey (I. J.) letter
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elisa Visick
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-01-19T04:08-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Homesteader in Missouri.
comments powered by Disqus