John F. Cobbey papers
John F. Cobbey papers
Dates: bulk 1850-1863, 1850-1951
Handwritten journal of Cobbey's overland journey from St. Joseph, Missouri to Cold Springs, California in 1850. Occasionally poetic, Cobbey describes buffalo, Indian villages he visited, and bouts of mountain fever in the company. Diary is very descriptive about the geography and nature of the trail. Cobbey had limited success mining and gives a brief description of conditions in California. Journal includes an essay written by Cobbey in 1852 for Walnut Grove Academy (now Eureka College). Collection also includes photographs of John F. and Thomas W. Cobbey, an 1863 newspaper article by Thomas Cobbey about the Civil War, and an TLS dated 2 October 1951 from W.O. Mussey, Jr., to Dr. Nolie Mumey giving information about Thomas Cobbey.
- Extent: 4 folders (0.4 linear ft.)
- Creator: Cobbey, John Furmes, 1827-1854
- Call Number: MSS SC 158
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Original journal is restricted. Photocopy and transcript are for patron use.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 158; John F. Cobbey papers; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 158, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Purchased from Fred Rosenstock in 1974.
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; Fred Rosenstock; 1974.
- Subject Terms
- Cobbey, John Furmes, 1827-1854--Diaries; California--Gold discoveries; Gold miners--California--Diaries; Immigration and American Expansion; Overland journeys to the Pacific; Overland Journeys to the Western United States; Pioneers--West (U.S.)--Diaries; United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Literary collections
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Cobbey (John F.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elisa Visick
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-09T04:05-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Native of Illinois and gold prospector who died at the age of twenty-seven.
comments powered by Disqus