Matthew Cowley letter
Matthew Cowley letter
Photocopy of a handwritten letter addressed to his sister, Laura, concerning the translation of Mormon scriptures into the Maori language. In 1917 Matthew Cowley helped revise the original translation of the Book of Mormon with the help of native Maori people. He went on to translate the Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price.
- Extent: 1 item (2 leaves)(0.04 linear ft.)
- Creator: Cowley, Matthew, 1897-1953
- Call Number: MSS SC 1591
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Matthew Cowley letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 1591; Matthew Cowley letter; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 1591, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated for Matthew Cowley in 1979.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Matthew Cowley; 1979.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Apostles--Correspondence; Cowley, Matthew, 1897-1953--Correspondence; Church Government; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Religion; Maori language; Mormon Church--Sacred books--Translating; Mormons--New Zealand--History
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Cowley (Matthew) letter
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Benjamin Sipes
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-09T04:09-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Apostle in the Mormon Church, 1945-1953. He served in New Zealand as a missionary for the Mormon Church.
comments powered by Disqus