J. Urban Allred diaries
J. Urban Allred diaries
Volume begins with autobiographical sketch concerning Allred's early life in Lehi, Utah. Diaries document his attendance at Brigham Young Academy, September 1892-May 1898; service as a Mormon missionary in Tennessee in the Southern States Mission, June 1898-July 1900; activities as a school teacher in Vernal, Utah, August 1900-May 1901; family life with Amelia May Hammond in Lehi, 1901-1910; and family life with Edna Bingham in Raymond, Alberta, and elsewhere, beginning in 1912. Diaries also document his short-term mission to Minnesota in North Central States Mission, December 1925-March 1926; genealogical missioin to North Carolina, November 1931-March 1932; genealogical research in Georgia, December 1932-March 1933; and activities in Logan, Utah, beginning 1937. Diaries were transcribed by J. Urban Allred's children. Volume also includes trascript of J. Urban Allred patriarchal blessing; transcript of Amelia May Hammond Allred funeral program; copies of letters, photographs, and certificates; and family genealogical records.
- Extent: 1 volume (677 pages) ; 28 cm
- Creator: Allred, J. Urban (James Urban), 1874-1956
- Call Number: MSS SC 2909
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from J. Urban Allred diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 2909; J. Urban Allred; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 2909, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Acquisition Information
- Subject Terms
- Home and Family; Social Life and Customs; Mormon Church--Missions--Southern States; Mormon Church--Missions--Middle West; Mormon missionaries; Tennessee; Lehi (Utah); Vernal (Utah); Provo (Utah); Logan (Utah); Raymond (Alta.); Minnesota; Georgia; North Carolina; Teachers; Allred, J. Urban (James Urban), 1874-1956; Brigham Young Academy--Students--Diaries; Allred, Edna Bingham, 1889-1965; Allred, Amelia H. (Amelia Hammond), 1877-1910
- Genre / Form
- Photographs; Diaries
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Allred (J. Urban) diaries
- Finding Aid Author
- Elisa Visick
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-11-02 12:31:19 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
comments powered by Disqus