William Alvin Bowles papers
William Alvin Bowles papers
The William Alvin Bowles papers include diaries, correspondence, scrapbooks, library materials, photographs and ephemera regarding his mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to the Maori people in New Zealand.
- Extent: 1 carton (1 linear ft.). -- 3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Bowles, William Alvin, 1886-1926
- Call Number: MSS SC 2956
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Collection contains four series: Series 1 William Alvin Bowles diaries; Series 2 William Alvin Bowles library materials; Series 3 William Alvin Bowles photographs; Series 4 William Alvin Bowles ephemera.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from William Alvin Bowles papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 2956; William Alvin Bowles papers; 19th Century Western and Mormon Americana; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 2956, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated in 2004.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; 2004.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSSSC2956.xml
- Subject Terms
- Bowles, William Alvin, 1886-1926--Archives; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--New Zealand; Religion; Maori (New Zealand people); Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon Church--Missions--New Zealand; Mormon missionaries--New Zealand; Mormons--New Zealand
- Processing Information
- Processed; GlendaLynn Ainsworth, student processer; 2009.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history. (19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Bowles (William Alvin) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by John M. Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-08-19T10:51-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
William Alvin Bowles (1886-1926) was a farmer and active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The oldest son in a family of eight children, William Alvin Bowles was born April 22, 1886 on a small ranch in Nephi, Utah. William worked on the family’s ranch and farm until his departure in the fall of 1906 for New Zealand where he served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Following his return from New Zealand in the spring of 1910, William married Catherine Bailey on November 17, 1910 in the Salt Lake City, Utah, LDS Temple. Like William, Catherine was born and raised in Nephi. Following their marriage, William and Catherine lived in Salt Lake City for three years, where William was foreman on a large farm owned by a Mr. Gunn. During this period, Catherine kept the farm accounts and prepared dinner for Mr. Gunn. After the birth of their daughter, Virginia Bowles, the family returned to Nephi where William farmed and worked for the Bonneville Lumber Company.
William and Catherine had three children: Virginia Bowles Keeler, Catherine Bowles, and Geraldine Bowles Barker. Throughout his life, William took an active role in the ecclesiastical activities of his local LDS ward (the Nephi Center Ward) and stake (the Juab Stake). William served as a ward clerk, a stake missionary, and as a counselor in the Mutual Improvement Association. Remembered by his wife and children as a loving husband and father, William died of a ruptured appendix on October 3, 1926.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS SC 2956
William Alvin Bowles diaries
Dates: October 1906 -- March 1910
William Alvin Bowles library materials
William Alvin Bowles photographs
William Alvin Bowles ephemera
Help with this Collection
Curator - 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts