Delbert R. Hales missionary journal
Delbert R. Hales missionary journal
Bound diary produced by Hales describing his experiences as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the German-Austrian Mission. The journal begins with him in Salt Lake City and continues in Meerane, Aschersleben, and Leipzig, Germany. The last few pages of the volume contain street addresses and notes.
- Extent: 2 folders (0.16 linear ft.)
- Creator: Hales, Delbert R. (Delbert Ray), 1916-1969
- Call Number: MSS SC 3011
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Condition restricted; permission to use item must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services. Patrons should use photocopy.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in
- Alternative Format
- Photocopy of the volume is available with the original.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Delbert R. Hales missionary journal must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 3011; Delbert R. Hales missionary journal; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 3011, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Barbara B. Smith, a daughter of Delbert R. Hales, in 1996.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Barbara B. Smith; 1996.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--Germany--Diaries; Mormon Church--Missions--Germany; Aschersleben (Germany); Leipzig (Germany); Meerane (Germany); Hales, Delbert R. (Delbert Ray), 1916-1969; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. German-Austrian Mission; Hales, Delbert R. (Delbert Ray), 1916-1969--Diaries
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hales (Delbert R.) missionary journal
- Finding Aid Author
- Benjamin Sipes
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-02-11 15:16:30 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Delbert R. Hales (1916-1969) was a Mormon physician in Utah.
Delbert Ray Hales was born on December 22, 1916 in American Fork, Utah to George Ray Hales and Laura Bird. Raised as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he was baptised on February 1, 1925. He attended high school in Spanish Fork, and graduated in 1936. The following year he left for a mission for the Church in Germany, and served from 1937 to 1939. After his return he continued his studies at Brigham Young University in Provo. He received his bachelor's degree in 1942.
In January 1942 Hales enlisted in the Army in January 1942. During his service he was first posted with the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) in the Middle East, then served in counter-intelligence following the invasion at Normandy.
After the war, Hales studied medicine at the University of Pennsylvania Medical School, graduating in 1950. He established his medical practice in American Fork, Utah. During this time he served as a member of the Utah County Board of Health, as president of the American Fork Hospital staff, and as director of the Utah Academy of General Practice. Hales also remained active in the Church, serving as a member of the Alpine Stake Sunday School Presidency.
Hales married Barbara Carolyn Bailey in the Salt Lake Temple on June 11, 1947, and they had six children.
Hales passed away on July 18, 1969 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus