Henry William Bigler diary
Henry William Bigler diary
Photocopy of a microfilm copy of a handwritten autobiography and diary. Bigler wrote about his early life from 1815 to 1846 when his diary began. He was born in West Virginia, had encounters with Indians in that state, and joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1837. He moved to Far West, Missouri, in 1838; met Joseph Smith, the first president of the Mormon Church; suffered persecutions in Missouri; moved to Qunicy, Illinois, in 1839; and served on a mission for the Mormon Church in the Eastern States from 1839-1842. He served in the "Mormon Battalion", but there is a gap in the record from 1846 to 1853. Bigler served as a missionary for the Mormon Church in Hawaii from 1853 to 1855. He married Cynthia Jane Whipple in 1855 and lived in Farmington, Utah. He served on another mission to Hawaii in 1857. Bigler lived in St. George, Utah, for a time and worked on the Mormon Temple there.
- Extent: 1 v. (227 p.)
- Creator: Bigler, Henry William, 1815-1900
- Call Number: MSS SC 3132
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Henry William Bigler diary must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 3132; Henry William Bigler diary; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 3132, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- These materials were photocopied from reel 6 of the 920 microfilm collection in 2001.
- Subject Terms
- Mormons--Missouri--History; Mormon Church--Missions--Hawaii; Indians of North America--West Virginia; Mormon pioneers; Mormon missionaries--Hawaii; Mormon missionaries--East (U.S.); Farmington (Utah)--History; Saint George (Utah)--History; Bigler, Henry William, 1815-1900; United States. Army. Mormon Battalion
- Genre / Form
- Autobiographies; Diaries; Photocopies
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Bigler (Henry William) diary
- Finding Aid Author
- Rose Frank
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-11-10 12:30:58 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Biographical / Historical
Henry William Bigler (1815-1900) was a Mormon pioneer and missionary.
comments powered by Disqus