John A. Duff interview
John A. Duff interview
Dates: 1985 April 15
Transcript of an interview conducted by Murray Duff, son of John A. Duff, on 15 April 1985 for the Ray Hillam military history project. John A. Duff was stationed in Ft. Benning, Georgia, as an Army aviator before he was assigned to Vietnam in 1965. He served with the 197th Armed Helicopter Company and took over as a platoon commander. He told about his combat experiences, the various missions in which he participated, and the strategies employed. John A. Duff was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and he felt that his religion protected him even though he was shot at every day. Because he did not drink alcohol, many of the other soldiers trusted him more than those who did. He lost many of his friends in combat, came close to losing his life many times, and was shot down four times. He thought that the war was not justified and that the U.S. should have decided if it was fighting to win or to lose the war.
- Extent: 1 item (30 p.)
- Creator: Duff, John A.. -- Duff, Murray
- Call Number: MSS SC 3167
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John A. Duff interview must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 3167; John A. Duff interview; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 3167, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- These materials were donated by Ray Hillam to Special Collections in 1999.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Ray Hillam; 1999.
- Subject Terms
- Duff, Murray--Interviews; Military; Mormons--Interviews; Politics, Government, and Law; Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Personal narratives, American
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Duff (John A.) interview
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Rose Frank
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-09T04:14-0700
- Finding Aid Language
comments powered by Disqus