David Gardner interview
David Gardner interview
Dates: 1985 August 11
Transcript of an interview conducted by Chinez Chukwurah on August 11, 1985 for the Ray Hillam military history project. Gardner served as an entertainer with the USO before he was drafted in the United States Army. He was trained on high-speed computers and was deployed in Vietnam in 1971 to the Saigon-Tansunut Air Force Base. He repaired computers handled top-secret information that went from Vietnam to important government leaders and agencies. He never saw combat and served in the mission presidency for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He thought his real purpose in coming to Vietnam was to teach the Mormon religion, and his best relationships were the personal friendships he gained with Vietnamese refugees. He thought the war was for a good cause, and the United States could have won if it had tried.
- Extent: 1 item (35 p.)
- Creator: Chuckwarah, Chinez. -- Gardner, David
- Call Number: MSS SC 3170
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from David Gardner interivew must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 3170; David Gardner interivew; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 3170, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- These materials were donated to Special Collections by Ray Hillam in 1999.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Ray Hillam; 1999.
- Subject Terms
- Gardner, David--Interviews; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--Vietnam; Mormons--Interviews; Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Personal narratives, American
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Gardner (David) interview
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Rose Frank
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-09T04:14-0700
- Finding Aid Language
comments powered by Disqus