Robert Hughes interview
Robert Hughes interview
Dates: 1985 December 6
Transcript of an interview conducted by Darren Timothy on 6 Dec. 1985 for the Ray Hillam military history project. Hughes was from Spanish Fork, Utah, and his father worked for the FBI. Robert Hughes joined the Marine Corps officer's program in 1967 and was sent to serve with the infantry in Vietnam. He later served with motor transportation in Vietnam. He was in Vietnam in 1968 and 1969 and went on many search-and-destroy missions. Hughes told about hardships in being away from home. He said some of his friends were killed, and he was grateful to be alive. He also said that the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints helped him have peace of mind. He believed that the war was justified to protect the rights of the family, and he believed the United States could have won the war if it had tried harder.
- Extent: 1 item (11 p.)
- Creator: Hughes, Robert. -- Timothy, Darren
- Call Number: MSS SC 3173
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Robert Hughes interview must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 3173; Robert Hughes interview; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 3173, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- These materials were donated to Special Collections by Ray Hillam in 1999.
- Subject Terms
- Hughes, Robert; Material Types; Mormons--Interviews; Oral Histories; Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Personal narratives, American
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hughes (Robert) interview
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-02-09T04:14-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Veteran of the Vietnamese Conflict.
comments powered by Disqus