Richard Baldwin interview
Richard Baldwin interview
Dates: 1985 March 18
Trancript of an interview conducted by Martin F. Peterson on 18 March 1985 for the Ray Hillam war project. Baldwin participated in the Korean and Vietnamese wars. He joined the United States Air Force at the end of World War II. He became a pilot and trained as a fighter pilot in 1950. He flew missions from Japan during the Korean War, and he enjoyed the experience he gained during that conflict. He was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and he said it was difficult to fly combat missions on Sundays. Baldwin flew about 300 combat missions during the war. He travelled throughout the United States expaining the nature of the conflict to the American people. He told about his missionary efforts for the Mormon Church while he was in the Air Force. He later taught at Brigham Young University. He considered the Vietnam war to be frustrating because there were so many constraints on the deployment of force. Baldwin added that more credit should be given for those who fought in Vietnam.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.2 linear ft.) : (44 p.)
- Creator: Baldwin, Richard. -- Peterson, Martin F.
- Call Number: MSS SC 3194
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Richard Baldwin interview must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 3194; Richard Baldwin interview; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 3194, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Ray Hillam donated these materials to Special Collections in 1999.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Ray Hillam; 1999.
- Subject Terms
- Military; Politics, Government, and Law; Fighter pilots--United States--Interviews; Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Personal narratives, American; Korean War, 1950-1953--Personal narratives, American; Mormons--Interviews; Baldwin, Richard; Baldwin, Richard--Interviews; Peterson, Martin F.
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Baldwin (Richard) interview
- Finding Aid Author
- Rose Frank
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-04-28 11:00:23 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
comments powered by Disqus