Harold V. Gividen papers
Harold V. Gividen papers
Typescript of an interview, photographs, diaries, letters, memoirs, newspaper clippings, and a magazine article. Gividen was interviewed by Winston Erickson for the Oral History of Utah's World War II Veterans on May 22, 2000. Gividen tells about his military experiences, including getting shot down. He kept a diary in Switzerland after he recovered from his wounds. He was invited to return to Switzerland in 1982, and his wife kept a diary during their visit. The materials relate to his experiences in 1945 and 1982. Also included is an account of flying in the "Torchy Tess" by Clinton O. Norby of Salt Lake City, Utah, the top turret gunner on the airplane.
- Extent: 2 folders (0.2 linear ft.) : 27 items
- Creator: Gividen, Harold V., 1924
- Call Number: MSS SC 3317
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Harold V. Gividen papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS SC 3317; Harold V. Gividen paper; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS SC 3317, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Harold V. Gividen donated these materials to Special Collections at Brigham Young University in July of 2002. Harold V. Gividen, Mapleton, Utah, Donation, July 2002.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Harold V. Gividen; 2002.
- Subject Terms
- Norby, Clinton O.; Military; Politics, Government, and Law
- Genre / Form
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Diaries; Letters; Memoirs; Photographs
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Gividen (Harold V.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Rose Frank
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-16T04:09-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Gividen was a native of Mapleton, Utah, and the co-pilot on a B-17 bomber, "Torchy Tess", which was shot over Germany and crashed in Switzerland on 25 February 1945.
comments powered by Disqus