Henry Strong Huntington papers
Henry Strong Huntington papers
This collection contains the diaries of a Presbyterian minister by the name of Henry Strong Huntington. The collection includes diaries, personal effects, correspondence, speeches given by Henry Huntington, and several photographs. The contents of this collection have been divided based upon genre, and then ordered chronologically.
- Extent: 3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Huntington, Henry Strong, 1836-1920
- Call Number: MSS SC 335
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in 2 series: 1. Henry Strong Huntington journals, 1856-1875; and 2. Henry Strong Huntington personal papers, 1851-1877.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Henry Strong Huntington papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS SC 335; Henry Strong Huntington papers; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS SC 335, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Several manuscript articles pertaining to Henry S. Huntington were taken from the Robert S. Ellison papers (MSS 782). This collection was acquired by L. Tom Perry Special Collections from Fred Rosenstock in 1988. The personal papers and correspondence removed from the Ellison papers were added to the collection catalogued as the Henry Strong Huntington papers (MSS SC 335).
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; Fred Rosenstock; 1988.
- Separated Material
- Two portraits and two photographs of waterfalls in Yosemite National Park have been removed from the collection. Photocopies are retained in the collection in their place, while the originals have been transferred to the Brigham Young University Photo Archives.
- Other Finding Aids
- Item-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSSSC335.xml
- Subject Terms
- Bell, L. G. (Linda G.); Huntington, Geneva, 1833-; Huntington, George, 1862-; Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875; Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865--Assassination; Seward, William Henry, 1801-1872; Auburn (N.Y.)--History; Diaries; Material Types; Presbyterian Church--Clergy; Presbyterian Church--History; Sacramento (Calif.)--History
- Processing Information
- Processed; David J. Whittaker and Emily Schaffner; 2002.
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Huntington (Henry Strong) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by David J. Whittaker and Emily Schaffner
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:30-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid encoded in English.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Henry Strong Huntington (1836-1920) was a Presbyterian minister serving mainly in New York and California.
Henry Strong Huntington was born in upstate New York on 15 July 1836. He was the son of Oliver Huntington and Mary Strong. Henry went on to become a Presbyterian minister, serving in various areas of the country, but mainly in New York and California. A large section of his journal writings contained in this collection pertain to his life and activities in California, including his voyage there. He and his wife, Geneve Gisby Huntington, had four children: Adelaide, Eliza, George, and David.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS SC 335
Henry Strong Huntington journals
Henry Strong Huntington personal papers
Help with this Collection
Curator - 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts